The Weldon Spring Ordnance Works site consists of about 17,232 acres located in St. Charles County, about 30 miles west of St. Louis and 14 miles southwest of the city of St. Charles. From 1941 to 1945, the site produced explosives for the U.S. Armed Services as part of the World War II defense effort. This site was one of the many munitions plants that manufactured trinitrotoluene (TNT) and dinitrotoluene (DNT). Wastes and wastewater from manufacturing operations were discharged onto the soil and drained into the watersheds of both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. The Weldon Spring Ordnance Works site was added to the Superfund National Priorities List (NPL) on Feb. 21, 1990.
Since 1959, a small part of the property has operated as the Weldon Spring Training Area for the Army Reserve and remains very active. The majority of the property became state-owned wildlife areas: August A. Busch Memorial and Weldon Spring Conservation Areas. Two hundred and twenty acres of the site is a separate NPL site, known as the Weldon Spring Site, which is owned by the U.S. Department of Energy.
Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Role
The department provides project oversight in conjunction with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The department reviews annual groundwater monitoring reports to ensure the groundwater remedy is performing as designed. The department reviews five-year reviews to ensure remedies remain protective.
The information repository for the Weldon Springs Ordnance Works site, which contains additional site information and the community involvement plan for the site, is located at the St. Charles City-County Library's Middendorf-Kredell Branch, 2750 Highway K, O’Fallon, Missouri (during normal business hours). Additional site information and documents are also available on EPA's Weldon Spring Former Army Ordnance Works webpage.
- MoDNR Project Manager: 573-751-3907
- EPA Project Manager: 913-551-7868
- Department of Army Project Manager: 210-466-1886