The department regulates and oversees facilities that process wastes, which are issued Solid Waste Processing Facility Permits to perform the following activities:
- Transferring waste from one container, vessel or vehicle to another
- Consolidating individual waste loads in preparation for transport to a landfill
- Separating the waste for recycling or disposal
- Recovering or salvaging specific items from the waste for sale or re-use
- Treating waste to kill pathogens in the waste, such as bacteria, viruses or other microorganisms, that may pose a threat to public health
- Incinerating waste for disposal or to produce energy
Some facilities or operations may be allowed an exemption to operate without a solid waste processing facility permit. Waste processing that salvages materials, sorts out items for re-use and does not generate waste to go to a landfill may not require a permit. These material processing operations must not cause any public health or environmental problems to retain its permit-exempt status. To learn more about whether an activity requires a solid waste processing facility permit, visit Activities Potentially Exempt from Solid Waste Regulations.
Listed below are the categories of permitted solid waste processing facilities. Under each processing facility category is general information about the category and a list of facilities within that category currently operating in Missouri. There are currently no solid waste incinerators or compost facilities required to operate under a solid waste processing facility permit at this time. To view an interactive map of all permitted solid waste processing facilities in Missouri or download a list of all permitted facilities, visit the Missouri Solid Waste Management Map. For information about obtaining a solid waste permit to construct or operate a solid waste processing facility, visit Solid Waste Processing Facility Permits. If you have questions about a specific processing facility, please contact the department's Waste Management Program.
*Also available is a list of Missouri facilities currently operating as solid waste landfills.