The former Bannister Federal Complex is located at 1500-2000 E. Bannister Road, 10 miles south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri. From 1942 until November 2017, the property was a federal government-owned, contractor-operated federal installation. This approximately 309-acre site was constructed in 1942 to manufacture airplane engines for the U.S. Navy. Beginning in 1949, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)/ National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) began new manufacturing operations, including manufacturing non-nuclear components for nuclear weapons. The part of the facility owned by DOE/ NNSA, referred to as the Kansas City Plant, was operated by Bendix Corp. Ownership of the remaining areas of the complex was transferred to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), who operated a warehouse in the western part of the building since the early 1960’s. Railroad tracks run north to south through the property.
In 2013, DOE/ NNSA moved their operations to new facilities. In 2014, GSA moved their various operations to new locations. In 2017, Bannister Transformation & Development LLC (BT&D) took ownership of approximately 225-acre areas of the site west of the railroad tracks, plus two acres off-site of the main complex, through an early transfer. BT&D is in the process of redeveloping the property. GSA owns the remaining 82 acres of the former federal complex east of the railroad tracks, which includes a closed U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) landfill. GSA leases the facility on its property to the U.S. Marine Corps under a long-term lease.
Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Role
The department’s Waste Management Program, Engineering Section and the department's Environmental Remediation Program, Federal Facilities Section work together to coordinate review and oversight of remedial activities at this site. Federal Facilities staff are on-site to oversee field and sampling activities, perform site inspections and respond to public concerns and questions as needed. Staff have been and will remain at the site throughout the project duration. Demolition and cleanup work are complete and long-term operation and maintenance of institutional controls is ongoing. Both the BT&D-owned property and GSA-owned property are regulated under Missouri’s Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)-equivalent hazardous waste program, with the Engineering Section providing regulatory oversight. For more information about this part of the site, visit the department's Bannister Complex webpage.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is performing the environmental investigation and cleanup of the closed landfill on the GSA-owned property under the Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) program, with the Federal Facilities Section providing regulatory oversight. Information about that part of the site is available below.
- MoDNR Federal Facilities Section Project Manager: 573-751-3907