Missouri Pesticide Collection Program
Last updated Jan. 26, 2018
The department’s Pesticide Collection Program provides free collection events for farmers and households throughout the state of Missouri to properly dispose of unwanted waste pesticides. From 2012 to 2017, the Missouri Pesticide Collection Program has conducted 38 events, collecting more than 337,500 pounds of waste pesticide from 1,148 participants. In 2018, the department is again providing Missouri residents with a convenient, free opportunity to properly dispose of pesticides, herbicides, rodenticides and fungicides.
2018 Collection Event Locations
- March 24 at Orscheln, 3810 Miller St., Bethany, MO 64424 (flyer)
- May 19 at the Palmyra Recycling Center, 810 W. Line St., Palmyra, MO 63461 (flyer)
- June 23 at MFA Agri Services - Perryville, 3501 US 61, Perryville, MO 63775 (flyer)
- July 21 at the Vernon County Fairgrounds, 1488 E. Ashland St., Nevada, MO 64772 (flyer)
- Sept. 8 at MFA Agri Services - Jefferson City, 1009 Fourth St., Jefferson City, MO 65101 (flyer)
2018 Completed Collection Event Totals
- Portageville event on March 10 collected 58,944 pounds of pesticide waste from 48 participants
2017 Completed Collection Event Totals
- Lockwood event on Oct. 14 collected 10,103 pounds of pesticide waste from 54 participants
- Chillicothe event on July 15 collected 13,106 pounds of pesticide waste from 39 participants
- Sikeston event on June 24 collected 25,376 pounds of pesticide waste from 43 participants
- St. Peters event on June 3 collected 6,892 pounds of pesticide waste from 58 participants
- Portageville event on March 11 collected 27,855 pounds of pesticide waste from 22 participants
- Fairfax event on March 25 collected 1,392 pounds of pesticide waste from 8 participants
2016 Completed Collection Event Totals
- Portageville event on March 12 collected 32,659 pounds of pesticide waste from 22 participants
- Poplar Bluff event on March 26 collected 17,674 pounds of pesticide waste from 28 participants
- Fairfax event on April 9 collected 3,389 pounds of pesticide waste from 13 participants
- Canton event on May 21 collected 4,450 pounds of pesticide waste from 31 participants
- Montgomery City event on June 4 collected 4,274 pounds of pesticide waste from 21 participants
- Bolivar event on June 25 collected 2,161 pounds of pesticide waste from 45 participants
What is accepted?
- Fertilizers containing herbicides or pesticides
- De-wormers and fly-tags
What is NOT accepted?
- Fire Extinguishers
- Smoke Detectors
- Yard Waste
- Pesticides from businesses, pesticide production facilities, pesticide distributors or pesticide retailers
All pesticides collected during the event are characterized, sampled (if unknown), segregated and placed into proper Department of Transportation shipping containers with approved labels and markings. The waste is transported offsite by an approved hazardous waste contractor to a permitted hazardous waste incineration facility for disposal. Non-pesticide waste brought to the event will be rejected and sent back with the participant.If you have other non-pesticide household hazardous waste (i.e., oil based paint, brake cleaner, etc.) to dispose of please contact your local Solid Waste Management District for possible disposal options.
Collection services will be overseen by the department’s Environmental Services Program and Hazardous Waste Program staff. For more information or questions on the pesticide collection program, contact C.J. Plassmeyer at 573-751-0616.
Do you have empty pesticide containers? Click here.
Useful Links and Publications
- Managing Pesticide Waste (PUB 2596)
- Pesticide Container Management (PUB 2727)
- Missouri Pesticide Collection Program Brochure (PUB 2603)
- Pesticide Waste Management Brochure (PUB 2701)
- Standard Operating Procedures for Waste Pesticide Collection Programs in Missouri Under the Universal Waste Rule (PUB 2637)
- Recommendations for safe transport
- The Pesticide Stewardship Alliance
- Triple Rinsing a Pesticide Container