There are a few precautions you should take to prevent accidents from occurring on your way to the Missouri Pesticide Collection event as you are responsible for your waste pesticides until delivered to the collection site. When transporting waste pesticides to a collection event, it is important to remember these are hazardous wastes. Harm to human health and the environment is possible if the described procedures are not followed carefully. Remember to always read the product's label for specific instructions.
- Wear protective gloves such as nitrile or chemical resistant gloves when handling waste pesticides.
- Avoid bringing children or pets to the collection site.
- Do not smoke while handling or transporting waste pesticides.
- Keep waste pesticides in their original containers when possible.
- Do not mix unwanted pesticides with other materials such as used motor oil or antifreeze.
- Label materials that are not in their original containers when known. If you have pesticides with unreadable labels, please save any portion of the label to help identify the material to assist with disposal.
- Check all containers. Make sure lids are tightly sealed to prevent splashing while starting and stopping during the drive.
- If the lid will not secure tightly or if the container is leaking, then this container should be placed within a larger, plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. A nonflammable absorbent, such as clay-based cat box filler should be packed around the waste pesticide to absorb any possible leaks. Label the outside container with the contents.
- Place waste pesticides upright in a cardboard box and secure so that they do not tip over in transport.
- Transport waste pesticides in the back of a pickup truck, a trailer or in a car trunk. If you must transport the materials in the passenger compartment, make sure there is adequate ventilation. Also, do not smoke while transporting waste pesticides.
- Keep flammables out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat, spark, flame or ignition.
The Hazardous Waste Contractor will unload the waste pesticide from your vehicle at the waste pesticide collection site. Please stay in your vehicle until the contractor asks for your assistance.
Nothing in this document may be used to implement any enforcement action or levy any penalty unless promulgated by rule under chapter 536 or authorized by statute.