Under the Missouri Spill Bill, found in Missouri Revised Statutes sections 260.500 to 260.550, RSMo, responsible parties or spillers are required to report hazardous substances releases to the department's 24-hour Environmental Emergency Response Hotline, 573-634-2436, or the National Response Center, 800-424-8802.
Environmental Emergency Response duty officers staff the 24-hour hotline. The duty officers:
- Provide technical assistance regarding necessary cleanup actions and chemicals.
- Work with the responsible party or spiller to make sure proper cleanup is completed.
- Work to make sure any impact to the public health and environment is minimized.
- Notify various agencies.
- Determine if an on-site response is needed by program staff.
Duty officers also complete an Environmental Emergency Response Incident Report using the Missouri Environmental Emergency Response Tracking System (MEERTS) database. MEERTS contains information related to all hazardous substance emergencies and releases reported on the 24-hour hotline or to the National Response Center as far back as December 1993. The Incident Report is made available once it is finalized.
A weekly report that summarizes each weeks reported incidents is also available by email. If you would like to receive these weekly report summaries, email your request to the Environmental Services Program.
- Missouri Environmental Emergency Response Tracking System (MEERTS) Online Search
- The MEERTS Environmental Incident Summary Data is a large, zipped Microsoft® Access® 2007 ACCDB file, which may result in a long download time for individuals with slow internet connections. The file will import into newer versions of Microsoft® Access®.