Owners of private water wells should take precautions if the threat of flooding exists, and specific steps should be taken if water wells are impacted by flood waters. It is important to disinfect a water well if the well has been impacted by flood water, a water sample tests positive for bacteria, or when work on the well, such as a pump replacement or liner installation has been completed. The following links provide helpful guidance.
- Reducing the Impact of Flooding – Private Water Wells - PUB2500
- Disinfecting Your Water Well - PUB2733
- Disinfecting Your Water Well Video
- Flooded Well Guidance – EPA
- Managing a Flooded Well – Water Systems Council
When Repairs are Needed
If repairs need to be made to the water well, hire a contractor to do the work. Contractors licensed to do business in Missouri may be found online by using Well Installation Online Services.
For more information about bacteriological testing for private drinking water please contact the following agencies: