A well is considered abandoned when it can no longer be used or has not been in use for two years or more. Over time, thousands of water wells were abandoned without being properly plugged. Abandoned wells with wide openings pose a life threatening hazard to people and animals.
Abandoned wells are required by state law to be plugged because they present a contamination threat to groundwater.
Reporting and General Info
Please report abandoned wells to the department by using the Report an Environmental Concern form. They also may be reported by calling the department at 573-368-2165 or by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abandoned Wells: Locating, Plugging and Reporting - PUB2900
- Plugging your Abandoned Well - PUB2881 (Brochure)
The plugging of abandoned wells must be reported to the department and can be done by using Well Installation Online Services or by submitting the appropriate form.
- Monitoring Well/Test Hole/Soil and Geotechnical Boring Plugging Registration Report Form 780-2161
- Water Well/Heat Pump Plugging Registration Report Form 780-1603
- Oil and gas Notice of Intention to Plug Form 780-0214
- Oil and Gas Well Plugging Report Form 780-0217
Well Plugging Grants
- Well Plugging Grant Application Form MO 780-2162
- Abandoned Well Plugging Grant Application Criteria and Instructions for Form 780-2162 - PUB2975
Well Construction Rules
- Missouri Well Construction Rule 10 CSR 23-3.110 describes specific plugging requirements for all water well types.