Hazardous Waste Program
Last updated June 27, 2018
The goal of the Hazardous Waste Program is to protect human health and the environment from threats posed by hazardous waste. The program does the following to accomplish this goal:
- Encourage the reduction of hazardous waste production
- Regulate the management of hazardous waste
- Oversee the cleanup of hazardous waste contamination
- Promote property reuse
- Remove and cleanup petroleum storage tanks in the state
Looking for information on electronic waste; such as computers, televisions or cell phones; or the Electronics Scrap Management rule? Visit our Electronics Scrap Management page, which includes details specific for manufacturers, retailers, consumers and recyclers. Computer equipment manufacturers must have a department-approved recovery plan before they can sell their computers and computer accessories in Missouri. Their plan specifies how the manufacturer will offer free and convenient recycling to consumers of their specific computer equipment covered under Missouri's Electronics Scrap Management rule.
Interested in reviewing and improving hazardous waste methods and regulations? Visit the Hazardous Waste Forum page to learn more.
For more information on Hazardous Waste Program fees and stakeholder efforts, visit the Hazardous Waste Fee Stakeholder Workgroup page.
On June 30, 2018, the e-Manifest national system for tracking hazardous waste shipments electronically will begin. This system will modernize the nation's cradle-to-grave hazardous waste tracking process while saving valuable time, resources, and dollars for industry and states.
Environmental Site Tracking and Research Tool (E-START) - Learn about hazardous substance investigations and cleanups within a specific area of the state. Click on a point or area to review site information for a specific site. The department has also included links to important documents for each site.
Missouri Risk-Based Corrective Action (MRBCA) guidance documents
- MRBCA Process for Petroleum Storage Tanks Guidance Document
- MRBCA Technical Guidance Document (non-petroleum tank sites)
- 2015-2016 Revision of MRBCA Technical Guidance and Update of RBTLs
Hazardous Waste Operating Sections
Each section has an important role in the protection of Missouri's natural resources from hazardous waste contamination. For more information, please call the Hazardous Waste Program at 573-751-3176.
- Brownfields/Voluntary Cleanup Program - Provides state oversight for voluntary cleanups of properties contaminated with hazardous substances.
- Budget and Planning - Obtains and oversees the financial resources necessary to operate the program; maintains hazardous waste generators registration and reporting data.
- Compliance and Enforcement - Works to ensure compliance with hazardous waste, Polychlorinated Biphenyl, or PCB, and underground storage tank laws and regulations.
- Federal Facilities - Provides oversight and review of investigations, management and remediation of hazardous (chemical and radiological) substances at federal facilities in Missouri.
- Natural Resource Damages - Evaluates injuries to natural resources, negotiates legal settlements and then uses recovered funds to conduct restoration of injured resources.
- Permits - Issues hazardous waste permits and provides oversight and review of investigations, management and remediation of hazardous wastes at businesses that want to treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste in Missouri.
- Superfund - Designed to investigate and clean up contaminated property where releases of hazardous substances have occurred in the past or are threatening to occur due to past practice.
- Petroleum Storage Tanks - Protects human health and the environment by building conditions under which good management of underground storage tank systems is common business practice.
- Director's Office - Administrative responsibilities.
Specific Site Projects
- Camdenton Sites
- Sporlan Valve Plant 1 Site
- Westlake Landfill and Overview of Bridgeton Sanitary Landfill
- Zero Road Facility, Berger, Mo
- Zill LLC Property