School Bus Application Period is closed!
State Fiscal Year 2022 (July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022)
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources accepted applications through Oct. 12, 2021. All school bus fleet owners could apply for the replacement of up to three buses on an application, plus as many as two more buses if applying for new alternative fuel or all-electric buses.
Recordings of past meetings are available on the Volkswagen Trust Meetings page.
Program Requirements must be followed. Eligible school buses for replacement are:
- Diesel-powered, traditional yellow-style, type A-D, 1992-2009 engine model year, Class 4-8 with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 14,000 pounds
- Currently in service transporting students to and from school or school-related activities
- Old school bus must be permanently disabled
- Government entities may qualify to receive up to 80% cost share per project based on project details
- Non-government entities may qualify to receive up to 25% cost share per project based on project details
In limited circumstances, the department may grant a waiver to Missouri’s VW Trust Program Requirements. To qualify, the applicant must provide the following information:
- The applicant must identify the program requirement for which the waiver is being requested
- The applicant must document the reason for the waiver request
- If the applicant is requesting a waiver of a deadline, the applicant must propose a timeline for compliance
- Notification of the waiver will be provided by email to the person and email address specified by the requester
- The applicant must acknowledge that the department cannot, under any circumstances, waive any provisions of the Volkswagen Diesel Emissions Environmental Mitigation Trust. If uncertain, we highly encourage you to reach out to us to determine if a waiver is possible for your particular circumstances.
Example reason for waiver:
An entity is unable to disable their vehicle within the 60-day allowed period after delivery of the new vehicle and requests a two-week extension. Reasons for the extension have included delays with licensing the new vehicle, weather delays at the metal recycling operation for disabling the old vehicle, complications related to COVID quarantine requirements, etc.
By issuing a waiver, the department is waiving penalty assessments based on the conditions of the waiver. The waiver shall not prevent any subsequent enforcement of other program requirements or be deemed a waiver of any subsequent breach of any program requirements.
State Fiscal Year 2019 (July 2018 - June 2019)
The department funded school bus replacement projects for both financially disadvantaged schools and all other school districts. Awarded projects.