The department is authorized to reimburse fraternal, charitable or other non-governmental, nonprofit organizations for disposal costs for scrap tires collected during voluntary cleanups of land and water resources. These monies only apply to scrap tires. Other wastes collected as part of these projects are not eligible for reimbursement. For each tire collected and taken to a legal recycler, end-user or processor, the organization will be reimbursed for reasonable scrap tire management costs.
The funds for this program are made possible through the 50-cent scrap tire fee applied to the retail sale of every new tire purchased in Missouri. While there is no limit to the number of times an organization may receive funds under this program, requests may be denied due to insufficient funds available to the department.
Eligibility and Application
Nonprofit organizations wishing to receive these funds must obtain department approval before collecting the scrap tires. Tire collections that occur before receiving department approval may not be eligible for reimbursement.
The organization must also obtain the following numbers. No reimbursements can be made to an organization without these numbers.
- Current nonprofit registration number issued from the Missouri Secretary of State - For guidance on how to register a nonprofit organization, visit the Missouri Secretary of State’s Registering a Domestic Nonprofit Corporation.
- Current vendor input number issued from the Office of Administration - Vendor numbers can be obtained through the State of Missouri Vendor Services Portal.
The organization must submit the following documentation to the department at the address below.
- Complete and signed Nonprofit Scrap Tire Cleanup and Disposal Application MO 780-1997
- Copy of the organization’s current registration verifying its nonprofit status
If approved, the department will notify the organization by returning a copy of the approved application to the organization.
Tire Collection and Disposal
Organizations are encouraged to arrange for proper tire disposal before collecting them. Tires can be landfilled, but only if they have been cut, chipped or shredded before disposal. The department strongly encourages organizations to take collected tires to scrap tire processors or end-users for recycling or resource recovery. The department's regional office serving your area can help you locate a place to deliver scrap tires.
When disposing of the tires, the organization must get a signed receipt from the individual or company receiving the tires. The receipt must state the number of tires taken and the total amount paid for their disposal.
After the tires from the cleanup have been properly disposed, the organization must submit the following documentation to the department at the address below.
- Complete and signed Nonprofit Scrap Tire Cleanup and Disposal Invoice MO 780-1998
- Original, signed receipt(s) from the individual or company receiving the tires, indicating the number of tires taken and the total amount paid for their disposal
- Copy of the front and back of the organization’s cancelled check to the individual or company receiving the tires
If the information submitted for reimbursement is approved, the department will issue a check to the organization or individual for the costs incurred for disposing of the tires. Processing complete reimbursement requests takes approximately two weeks from the date the department receives the request.
Where to Submit Documents
Mail or fax any forms and documentation to the department at the following address:
Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Waste Management Program
Scrap Tire Unit
PO Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176