The McCracken Core Library and Research Center is a repository for nearly 8 million feet of subsurface geological materials (rock core and cuttings). The 21,000 square-foot facility is named in honor of geologists Earl and Mary McCracken, whose service to the geological survey spanned more than three decades. Climate controlled study and examination rooms were made possible through donated funds in the memory of Clark S. Rhoden.
McCracken houses core from more than 3,300 drill holes and cuttings from more than 15,000 drill holes from locations across Missouri. It is one of the largest such collections in the nation. We provide examination and sampling of subsurface geologic materials for research purposes to interested individuals, businesses and organizations at the discretion of the state geologist. To request core or cutting samples, reference the following policy and procedures and sample request form.
- McCracken Core Library and Research Center Policy and Procedures - PUB2496
- McCracken Core Library And Research Center Sample Request Form MO 780-2220
Note: The McCracken Core Library and Research Center is open to the public, by appointment during normal working hours. If you have any questions, would like to visit the facility or examine the library holdings, please contact us.
Core and Cutting Collections
Collecting and archiving core and cuttings helps to preserve geological history, leads to a better understanding of Missouri geology and hydrology and provides data useful in solving environmental, industrial and engineering problems. By archiving core and cuttings, they can be saved for future research and exploration.
Core and cuttings available for study come from many different sources. Drilling projects from quarries, oil and gas exploration, mineral exploration, landfills, hazardous waste sites and highway department construction have contributed to the holdings at McCracken. Specimen locations and other information about each sample are included in the Excel file below.
Data and Publications
- Well Logs, Rock Cuttings and Cores
- GeoSTRAT - Locate geologic, hydrologic and geotechnical data about the core and cuttings at McCracken on a interactive map
- Missouri Geological Survey: Earth science for everyone - Missouri Resources magazine article, page 14
- Celebrating 30 years; McCracken Core Library and Research Center - Phelps County Focus newspaper article