JEFFERSON CITY, MO, MARCH 8, 2022 – The public is invited to learn a unique skill at the First Missouri State Capitol State Historic Site in St. Charles. The historic site will offer classes covering the art of basket weaving. Participants will create beautiful handmade items, perfect for giving or keeping as a treasured family heirloom. Class participants will walk away from each class with a newly-learned talent and a beautiful, handcrafted basket.
These events are perfect for a group of friends or for making new friends. Class size is limited, so registration is required. Individuals are welcomed to register for one class or the whole series. Classes run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. All materials will be supplied. Bring a drink and snacks if you wish. Social distancing and standard COVID-19 protocols will be practiced.
The following projects will be offered on the following dates:
- Saturday, March 19: Round Easter Basket ($45) – Create a family heirloom to use year after year.
- Saturday, April 30: Market Basket ($35) – Get ready for all the farmers markets this spring!
- Thursday, May 12: Garden Gate Basket ($40) – You'll be using it to pick spring flowers before you know it.
- Saturday, June 25: Chairside Basket ($50) – Great to hold your yarn or any crafting supplies you might want nearby.
- Saturday, July 16: Footed Bow Basket ($20) – A beautiful small catch-all basket.
- Thursday, Aug. 25: Stool ($40) – A decorative addition perfect for any room.
- Thursday, Sept. 15: Tobacco Basket ($35) – Cute with a flower display to hang on your wall.
- Saturday, Oct. 22: Double-Handled Casserole Carrier Basket ($40) – Time to get ready for some warm comfort foods.
- Saturday, Nov. 19: Door Basket ($40) – Perfect to hang on your door with a natural arrangement you can change with the seasons.
The public is strongly encouraged to follow social-distancing guidelines and be proactive in protecting themselves and others.
The First Missouri State Capitol State Historic Site is located at 200 S. Main St., St. Charles. Please call the historic site at 636-940-3322 for more information and to register.
For more information on state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com. Missouri State Parks is a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.