Have a Site?  Have Questions?

Do you have a piece of property you think might be contaminated with hazardous substances? Do you want to clean it up so it is safe, but are not sure where to start? Are you concerned about disclosing the contamination to the department or are you wondering about your legal obligations? Are you considering buying a piece of property that may be contaminated? Have you conducted soil testing but are not sure how to interpret the results?

If you have these kinds of questions, the department's Brownfields/ Voluntary Cleanup Program (BVCP) may be able to help. BVCP is a non-enforcement program designed to help property owners and provide "closure" when the property is clean to approved specifications, thereby facilitating property transactions. BVCP staff are available to answer questions about how the program works. Although not everything can be answered over the phone without reviewing site assessment reports, the information you need to decide how to proceed is available from department staff. BVCP staff can be contacted by telephone at 800-361-4827 or 573-526-8913, or by email at MissouriBrownfields@dnr.mo.gov.

For information about loans and sub-grants to support cleanup activities for petroleum or hazardous waste contaminated properties, visit the Environmental Improvement & Energy Resources Authority (EIERA) Brownfields Revolving Loan Fund webpage. For information about incentives for redeveloping and revitalizing brownfields through the Missouri Brownfield Redevelopment Program, visit the department's Brownfields Redevelopment webpage.