A number of sources, including the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), Alternative Fuels Data Center, AAA and fueleconomy.gov provide information on energy prices. Several of these data sets are provided below. Comparisons of electricity prices by sector and year should be undertaken carefully when using data from EIA because of changes in electricity customer classifications (see Electric Power Monthly Technical Notes PFM Update Appendix C and Electric Power Monthly Technical Notes Appendix). In addition, caution should be exercised when comparing electricity prices by state because of factors such as deregulated versus regulated market structures.
More information is available at the above-referenced sites. The Missouri Energy Bulletin provides additional data, such as monthly propane prices during the non-heating season (April – September).
- Propane residential price, weekly
- Average retail electricity prices by end-use sector, annual
- Average retail fuel prices in the United States
- Futures market prices for light-sweet crude oil at Cushing, OK, weekly
- Futures market prices for natural gas, weekly
- Average price of delivered coal by end-use sector, quarterly