Water Protection Program fact sheet
Division of Environmental Quality Director: Kyra Moore

This fact sheet is for developers of subdivisions, mobile home parks and campgrounds. You will need to provide centralized wastewater collection and treatment for your development if:

  • Your subdivision or mobile home park will have lot sizes smaller than 40,000 sq. ft. (0.92 acres)
  • Your campground will have lot sizes smaller than 20,000 sq. ft. (0.46 acres)


The revised regulation Disposal of Wastewater in Residential Housing Developments, 10 CSR 20-6.030, has replaced the regulation Disposal of Wastewater in Subdivisions, 10 CSR 20-6.030. The regulation governs on-site wastewater treatment systems and allowable lot sizes for new developments.

Construction Permits

You will need to obtain a construction permit for the wastewater system prior to the sale of lots. Contact the Missouri Department of Natural Resources regional office in your area for Form B Application for Construction or Operating Permit for Facilities Which Receive Basically Domestic Waste. To submit a complete application for review, include the following items with the application:

  • Engineering report
  • Plans and specifications
  • Geohydrologic evaluation of the liquid-waste treatment site
  • Continuing authority information
  • Planning and zoning approval
  • Permit fee

Submit the application to the department regional office in your area. Your wastewater treatment system is approved after you receive a valid construction permit from the region.

Geohydrologic Evaluation

A geohydrologic evaluation of the site is available from the department’s Missouri Geological Survey. Submit a copy of the form Request for Geohydrologic Evaluation of Liquid-Waste Treatment Facility/Site, Form 780-1688. The form is available from the following sources:

Continuing Authority

All centralized collection and treatment systems must have a continuing authority. The continuing authority is the entity or person responsible for operating and maintaining the system. This authority can be a city, a sewer district, a water district, a private utility corporation regulated by the Missouri Public Service Commission, a non-profit sewer corporation, a neighborhood association, an individual or a private corporation. The regulation Construction and Operating Permits, 10 CSR 20-6.010 (3), lists the requirements for continuing authorities. For answers to specific questions about continuing authorities, contact the Permit Unit Chief at the department’s Water Protection Program at 573-751-1300.

Design Guides

The design guides for wastewater treatment systems are in the Code of State Regulations at 10 CSR 20-8.

Operating Permits

All centralized wastewater treatment systems require an operating permit issued by the department. Operating permits have annual fees, effluent limits, and testing or reporting requirements. Contact the department’s regional office for specific information.


Nothing in this document may be used to implement any enforcement action or levy any penalty unless promulgated by rule under chapter 536 or authorized by statute.