JEFFERSON CITY, MO, OCT. 5, 2021 – Staff members at Meramec State Park invite the public to its annual Halloween event, Spooktacular, on Friday, Oct. 15 and Saturday, Oct. 16. Events will include an evening program presented by a park naturalist, an outdoor movie with free popcorn and hot chocolate, a bonfire, trick-or-treating, a scavenger hunt, a coloring contest and a jack-o’-lantern contest.
On Saturday at 4:45 p.m., park staff will close the campground road to provide a safe environment for trick-or-treaters to go campsite to campsite. Campers are encouraged to decorate their campsites, and one campsite will be designated as the “Coolest Campsite.”
Many of Sullivan’s local businesses donate prizes and supplies for this event. Weekend activities include:
Friday, Oct. 15
- 6:30 p.m. - Nature program at the amphitheater.
- 7:30 p.m. - Outdoor movie: "Halloweentown II" at field across from the booth.
Saturday, Oct. 16
- 9 a.m. - Coloring contest; pick up entry forms in field across from the booth starting at 9 a.m. and turn completed entries in by 3 p.m.
- 1:30 p.m. - Scavenger hunt; meet in the field across from the booth.
- 4 p.m. - Jack-o'-lantern contest; place carved pumpkins at the booth by 4 p.m.
- 5 p.m. - Trick-or-treating.
- TBA – Evening program.
The public is strongly encouraged to follow social-distancing guidelines and be proactive in protecting themselves and others.
Meramec State Park is located at 115 Meramec Park Drive, Sullivan. For more information about the meeting, call 573-468-6072.
For more information on state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com. Missouri State Parks is a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.