The Nucor LMP Inc., formerly the LMP Steel and Wire Co., site is located at 2000 E. First St. in Maryville. Moog Automotive owned the site from 1958 to 1982, when they sold the plant to the employees. LMP treated various sizes of roll steel wire by submerging it in several baths of pickling liquor (heated 5% sulfuric acid) to remove rust, scale and dirt. LMP then shaped the wire to produce cold finished steel bars, bright basic wire, underground culvert accessories, and various forms of round stock.
Periodically, the pickling liquor was replaced and the spent solution disposed. From 1958 to 1983, LMP used a 13.4-acre surface impoundment (lagoon) to store process wastes from facility plating and pickling operations. Spent pickle liquor from steel finishing operations is listed as a hazardous waste (K062) based on its high levels of lead and hexavalent chromium. Moog operated the surface impoundment under the “interim status” portions of the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). Moog divested themselves of LMP in 1982; however, they retained ownership of the surface impoundment.
The impoundment was closed with waste in place in 1984. The department accepted Moog’s closure certification with waste in place for the surface impoundment in 1987. Moog was subject to the permitting requirements of the Missouri Hazardous Waste Management Law and federal Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments for post-closure care because hazardous waste remained in place after closure.
Moog was also subject to corrective action because they completed closure of the interim status hazardous waste areas after the effective date of the federal Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments. Moog conducted post-closure and corrective action activities under two hazardous waste permits, one issued by the department and one issued by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), both effective June 15, 1989. Groundwater monitoring had been conducted at the site since 1981 and continued through 1998. Sampling results consistently showed contaminant levels below the maximum concentration limits specified in their hazardous waste permit. A Deed Notice, signed by the Nodaway County Recorder of Deeds in 1989, was placed on the property in order to inform potential future buyers of the property that portions of the property had been used to manage hazardous waste. The department determined that the site did not pose any unacceptable risks to human health or the environment. On June 15, 1999, following required public notice and opportunity for comment, the department approved the proposed final remedy of no further corrective action with institutional controls and terminated Moog’s permits, releasing them from regulation as a hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities subject to permitting and corrective action. The department accepted clean closure certification for the surface impoundment and released the facility from financial assurance obligations in 2000.