Interested in making energy-efficiency upgrades and improvements to your home? A home energy audit may provide you with a list of cost-effective measures to help guide you. You may qualify for a deduction on your Missouri personal income taxes. Below are useful resources for energy auditors and weatherization professionals:
I want an energy audit
For a list of qualified energy auditors or to find one in your area, visit our interactive auditor map.
Become an energy auditor
The department has certification requirements and guidelines for energy auditors to help insure that residents and businesses are getting the most up-to-date advice and financially beneficial recommendations on methods to reduce their energy consumption. To qualify for the personal income tax deduction authorized in Section 143.121.8 and Section 640.153, RSMo (described above), home energy auditors conducting residential home energy audits must be certified by the department for purposes of qualifying for the home energy audit deduction.
An energy professional may be certified as a Missouri Home Energy Auditor after successfully completing one of the following certifications:
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) as a Certified Building Analyst, a Certified Energy Auditor, or as a Quality Control Inspector.
- Residential Energy Network (RESNET) as a Certified Rater.
- Certification through other department approved programs.
To perform a commercial building energy audit, the applicant must be a licensed Professional Engineer in Missouri with building energy efficiency experience. The applicant should also have at least one of the following certifications:
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- Building Commissioning Association (BCxA)
- National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB)
See more information and application forms for auditor certification below.
Weatherization Network Training Providers
Fact Sheet and Guidance Documents
Application Forms and Instructions
- Missouri Certified Home Energy Auditor MO 780-2011 Auditor Application (Department approved programs for residential building energy auditor)
- Missouri Certified Home Energy Auditor Application (Training institution) MO 780-2013
- Missouri Certified Home Energy Auditor Application (for Commercial Building Professional) MO 780-2011c