Currently, regulations require sanitary and demolition landfill owners and operators to design and implement gas monitoring programs capable of detecting gas migration. The resulting data must be submitted to the department at least quarterly in the Comma Separated Value (CSV) file format. CSV files can be created from Microsoft Excel®, Apple Numbers® and many other spreadsheet programs. For users who do not already have a spreadsheet program, openoffice.org contains a free, multi-platform spreadsheet program that can create CSV files. Please follow the guidelines below when submitting landfill gas data.
When setting up your facility’s monitoring results spreadsheet, here are some things to keep in mind:
- The first row should only contain data and should not be a header or title for the information.
- Each row represents one sampling event at one well.
- The permit number should be the highest superseding number at the facility (the most recent modification) and should be written without any preceding zeros.
- The well IDs must exactly match the monitoring well IDs that were submitted in the facility’s gas monitoring plan and approved by the department. Well IDs must be written exactly the same way every time the data is submitted, including proper spacing. For example, well 01-R is not the same as 1R or 01 r.
- The database will accept the sample collection date in several formats. Please use one of the following formats when submitting your data:
- m/d/yy 1:56 PM
- m/d/yyyy 1:56 PM
- m/d/yy 13:56
- m/d/yyyy 13:56
- No extraneous information can be in any columns. In the event a well was not sampled, leave the field blank. Do not enter 0, NS, Not Sampled, a space, etc., or any other explanation in the cell. Only enter the value 0 if the well contained zero methane when sampled. Do not enter units, such as % or ppm, after the value recorded. If you would like to explain why the well wasn’t sampled, please include this information in the email accompanying the data you submit.
|A.||Highest permit number for the facility (without any preceding zeros)*|
|B.||Well ID Number (as approved by the SWMP)*|
|C.||Sample collection date (using one of the approved formats)*|
|D.||Methane (record in % by volume)*|
|E.||Carbon dioxide (record in % by volume)*|
|F.||Oxygen (record in % by volume)*|
|G.||Balance gas (record in % by volume)|
|H.||Barometric pressure (record inches Hg)*|
|I.||Carbon monoxide (record in parts per million)|
|J.||Hydrogen sulfide (record in parts per million)|
|K.||Relative pressure (record in inches water)|
|M.||Water level in well (depth in feet below surface of well)|
* Required information for each submittal.
Saving the File
The CSV file format was chosen because it will prevent certain types of import errors that can be caused by common spreadsheet programs. The example below shows how to save a spreadsheet in CSV format using Microsoft Excel®
- On the File tab, select Save As.
- In the Save As pop-up window, choose a location to save the document.
- At the bottom of the Save As pop-up window, in the Save as type: field, choose CSV (Comma delimited) from the dropdown list.
- In the bottom-right corner of the Save As pop-up window, click Save. You may see a message window pop-up, stating the CSV file "...may contain features that are not compatible with CSV....". Select Yes and continue closing the file.
Submitting the Data
Email the CSV file, as an attachment, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep the following guidelines in mind when submitting the data:
- Use the following email subject line: (Approved Landfill Name), Permit # (Most Current and Approved Permit Number) Gas Monitoring Results for (Time Period) (i.e. 1st Qtr 2011, Week Ending 1/7/2011, etc.). For example, ABC Sanitary Landfill, Permit #123456, Gas Monitoring Results for 3rd Qtr 2008.
- In addition to any comments or a description of the monitoring conducted in the attachment, include the following statement in the email body:
- Per 10 CSR 80-3.010(12)(D)6, I am submitting landfill gas monitoring data for the (Insert Landfill Name), Permit # (Insert Permit Number). By sending this e-mail, I certify that the information submitted has been collected by me, or staff trained to conduct the sampling, and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I certify that I have the authority to submit this data on behalf of the facility referenced.
- The email body must include the name and contact information of the individual who is submitting the data. Email signature lines are acceptable if they are of the individual who is submitting the data.
- Attach data for only one facility per email. If you need to submit data for multiple facilities, please send separate emails and attachments for each facility.
- You may submit data for multiple monitoring dates in the same attachment. However, all data shall be submitted within seven days of sample collection to meet regulatory requirements.
- Attach the CSV file to the email.
Nothing in this document may be used to implement any enforcement action or levy any penalty unless promulgated by rule under chapter 536 or authorized by statute.