Historic Preservation Fund Grants
Historic Preservation Fund Grants
HPF Grant Application Webinar Video - Application period closes on 8/16/2019
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 authorizes a program of federal matching grants, known as the Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) to assist various states in carrying out historic preservation activities. The program is sponsored by the Department of the Interior, National Park Service (NPS), and in Missouri, is administered through the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Under changes made to the Act in 1980, each state is required to earmark a minimum of ten percent (10%) of their Historic Preservation Fund monies for exclusive use by Certified Local Governments (CLGs). In FY2020, the Department anticipates awarding approximately $100,000 in grants.
Certified Local Governments, all county governmental entities, municipalities, and qualified non-profit organizations with historic preservation mission are eligible to apply for the Historic Preservation Fund Grants. However, only applications from Certified Local Governments will be considered for the mandated ten percent pass through funds. Once the ten percent pass through funding has been adequately awarded, the SHPO will consider all remaining grant applications equally.
HPF grants fund projects that relate directly to the identification, evaluation, or protection of historic properties, for example, architectural or archaeological resources listed or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The selection process for these limited funds will be competitive. We will not be funding development projects at this time.
Pre-applications are currently being accepted. The Department of Natural Resources is now using an online Funding Opportunities Portal to receive, award, and manage grants. This system provides for entities applying for funding to submit their application, track the status of the award and to submit invoices and reports electronically. Project sponsors will need to request access to the system so they may submit the grant application in the portal.
To request access to the system:
- Go to the Department’s Funding Opportunities Portal.
- Under New User, click the “Click Here” link to request an account.
- Complete and submit the Funding Opportunity Portal Access Request form.
- Check Historic Preservation at the bottom of the form, in the section used to indicate the program(s) in which the project sponsor is interested in applying for financial assistance. Project sponsors may select other options in addition to Historic Preservation. This form may take 24 to 48 hours to process. Once processed, the project sponsor will receive an email with their log on credentials.
Pre-applications are due before 5:00 p.m. on August 16, 2019. The HPF Grant Manager will review the pre-applications and provide comments to the applicant before September 16, 2019. Final applications will be sent only to applicants who submitted pre-applications. Final applications are due by 5:00 p.m. September 30, 2019.
Final applications will be scored based on the proposed project's contribution to Missouri's statewide preservation goals as noted in the Missouri Statewide Preservation Plan and the technical quality of the application.
For more information or assistance with historic preservation fund grants, please contact our office via email or by calling 573-751-7958.
- National Register and Survey Grant Application,Form--780-2655 and Instructions
- Planning and Outreach Grant Application, Form--780-2657 and Instructions
- Predevelopment (Preconstruction) Grant Application, Form--780-2656 and Instructions
Missouri Heritage Properties Program Grants
The SHPO will not be offering a round of Missouri Heritage Properties Grants this year.