Water Protection Program fact sheet
Division of Environmental Quality Director: Ed Galbraith

Establishments engaged in the plastics and rubber manufacturing and molding industry may need to apply for a Missouri State Operating Permit to discharge stormwater from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Missouri Regulations (10 CSR-6.200) should be consulted for specific requirements.

General Permit

A permit containing general provisions has been issued for this industry, but it is the responsibility of the individual owner or operator of a facility covered by this general permit to apply. It does not authorize any other discharges to waters of the state such as cooling water or domestic sewage.

The general permit does not apply to stormwater discharges within 1,000 feet of waters identified as a losing stream or is listed in the Missouri Water Quality Standards (10 CSR 20-7.031) as an outstanding national or state resource water, or a lake or reservoir used for public drinking water supplies, or critical habitat for endangered species, or bio-criteria reference streams. Facilities with discharges located in these areas must apply for a site-specific permit.

Site Specific Permit

If requested by the owner or operator, a facility may be covered by a site-specific permit. A site-specific permit takes into account the individual characteristics of the site and the stormwater runoff. In addition, the department can determine that the quality of waters of the state may be better protected by requiring the owner or operator of the site to apply for a site-specific permit.

Who Needs a Permit?

Stormwater regulations use the Standard Industrial Classification, or SIC, system to determine if an industry is regulated under the law. This classification system was devised by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget to cover all economic activities. Businesses having SIC codes listed below are required to apply for a stormwater discharge permit.

Additionally, businesses having the following SIC codes may need a stormwater permit if certain activities or materials are exposed to storm water.

Chemical manufacturers and chemical warehouse facilities should apply for the general permit entitled chemical manufacturing.


Since the 1972 Clean Water Act, discharges of wastewater have been regulated through the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System, or NPDES. A permit is required for any discharges of potential pollutants to waters of the state unless there is a specific exemption. Since 1974, Missouri has been delegated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to issue NPDES permits. The permits issued by the department are state as well as federal operating permits.

Since October, 1992, Missouri has regulated stormwater runoff by requiring a permit. The new regulations address pollution in rainwater runoff discharged from certain industrial sites, construction sites disturbing an area of five acres or more, and urban storm sewers. The regulations have come about because of amendments to the federal Clean Water Act.

Additional Water Pollution Control Requirements

Additional permits from the department’s Water Protection Program may be required (Missouri Clean Water Law, Section 644, RSMo). As stated above, anyone that discharges water in a location where it may cause pollution to waters of the state must apply for a permit to do so. This would include discharges of wastewater such as cooling tower blow-down or domestic sewage. Instead of applying for a separate permit, stormwater discharges may be covered under these permits.


Facilities that discharge storm water runoff directly to a combined sewer system are exempt from stormwater permit requirements.

Permit Requirements

  1. The general permit for these facilities requires the development of a stormwater pollution prevention plan.
  2. All paint solvents, petroleum products and petroleum waste products (except fuels), and storage containers (such as drums, cans or cartons) must be stored so that these materials are not exposed to stormwater. Spill prevention, control, or management must be provided sufficient to prevent any spills of these pollutants from entering a water of the state.
  3. Collection facilities must be provided on-site, and arrangement made for proper disposal of waste products, including but not limited to, petroleum waste products and solvents.
  4. Good housekeeping practices must be maintained on the site to keep solid waste from entry into waters of the state.
  5. All involved personnel must be trained in material handling and storage, and housekeeping of maintenance areas. Upon request, proof of training must be submitted to the department.

Requirements for site-specific permits may vary because the permit is written for one facility and the permit is tailored to that facility. Sampling of wastewater (such as storm, process, wash, dewatering) may or may not be required.

Fees and Application Forms

To apply under a general permit for the first time, complete application Form E (MO 780-0795) and submit appropriate fees. After the issuance of the general permit, operating fees will be assessed annually. To request a renewal of the general permit, an application form E must be submitted prior to the expiration of the general permit. No fees will be required with the renewal application form if all the operating annual fees are paid up including any late fee penalties. To apply for a site-specific permit, or if you have any questions concerning fees, please contact the water pollution section at your appropriate regional office. A regional office map is available online at Applications and fees for stormwater permits should be mailed to the permits unit chief at the address below. Applications are available at

Important Dates in Your General Permit

Each general permit will be issued on a five-year cycle and will list three important dates on the first page of the permit.

Termination of Permit

The permit may be terminated when activities covered by the permit have ceased and no significant materials are stored in such a way as to come into contact with storm water. It must be terminated if a transfer of ownership of the facility and its activities have been made. If such a termination of the general permit is sought, the permittee should submit Form H, Termination of a General Permit. If termination of a site-specific permit is sought the permittee should request such by letter.