Hazardous Waste Program fact sheet
Division of Environmental Quality Director: Ed Galbraith

This fact sheet contains guidance for households, property owners, businesses and contractors who must dispose of the following types of waste:

This fact sheet is not intended for guidance on the management of surface coatings removed from bridges, water towers or other similar outdoor structures.

Why are these wastes a concern?
Studies conducted by the U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, and by independent researchers, show the health effects of lead exposure are greater than previously thought. Children are especially vulnerable to the effects of lead poisoning. Because lead and other toxic heavy metals may be contained in the wastes noted above, they require careful management and disposal.

For many years, lead-based paint was used in residences and businesses for its stable coating properties. Although lead-based paint was virtually banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 1978 for residential application, it is often encountered when buildings are renovated or demolished. Also, lead-based paint is still manufactured and sold for corrosion/rust inhibition on steel structures and for other industrial purposes.

In older buildings, lead was also used for roofs, cornices, tank linings and electrical conduits. In plumbing, soft solder, an alloy of lead and tin, was used for soldering tinplate and copper pipe joints.

How may I dispose of these wastes?
In Missouri, the requirements for waste disposal depend on the kind of waste you need to dispose of, and how you are regulated by the law. In all cases, wastes must be managed and disposed of so as not to adversely affect the health of humans, pose a threat to the environment, or create a public nuisance.

Construction and Demolition Wastes from Households
All of these management options apply, whether or not a contractor is doing the work for you.

Construction and Demolition Wastes from Structures Other than Households

If one or more analytical limits meets or exceeds the regulatory limit, the waste is hazardous. Hazardous wastes must be managed, transported and disposed of according to the Missouri Hazardous Waste Management Law and Regulations. This may require that the paint residue be sent to an authorized disposal facility that specializes in hazardous waste. In some cases, a lead smelter may accept lead-based paints for use in their lead production processes.

If laboratory analysis shows that the paint residue is non-hazardous, it must be disposed of at a sanitary landfill as special waste. Paint residue may not be disposed of in a demolition landfill. Procedures for managing special wastes are included in the guidance, titled Special Waste fact sheet available on the department’s Web site at http://www.dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub2050.htm or by calling the department’s Solid Waste Management Program at 800-361-4827 or 573-751-5401.

About landfill disposal
Please note that a trash hauler or landfill operator has the right to refuse to accept any waste.

A landfill may also request that you submit a special waste disposal request (forms available from the Solid Waste Management Program). For this reason, we recommend that you contact the landfill operator for permission prior to shipment. Refusal by one landfill operator does not keep the generator from seeking another landfill operator’s permission for disposal.

About recycling scrap metal
The recommended disposal method for scrap metal is recycling rather than disposal. Scrap metal may be sold or given to a salvage yard dealer. Lead scrap metal may also be sent directly to a lead smelter for re-melting and production of new lead and lead products.

Additional considerations and sources
Hazardous waste requirements are found in the Missouri Hazardous Waste Management Laws, Sections 260.345 through 260.575 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri. The Missouri Hazardous

Waste Regulations are found in Title 10, Division 25 of the Code of State Regulations. Most of the federal environmental requirements in Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) are adopted by reference into the Missouri regulations.

Solid waste requirements are found in the Solid Waste Management Law in Sections 260.200 through 260.345 RSMo, and the regulations in Title 10, Division 80 in the CSR.

Copies of the Revised Statutes of Missouri are available through the Revised of Statutes at 573-526-1288, or are available online at http://www.moga.mo.gov/. Copies of the Missouri Code of

State Regulations are available through the Missouri Secretary of State at 573-751-4015, or are available online at https://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/csr.asp.

Federal regulations may be viewed at federal depository libraries or may be purchased from a U.S. Government Bookstore, the U.S. Government Printing Office, or from a commercial information service such as the Bureau of National Affairs. Federal Regulations are also available online at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR.

Other Guidance
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services’ Office of Lead Licensing and Accreditation may be contacted for information regarding training, licensure and work practice standards for lead abatement activities. Disposal is an abatement activity. See Missouri Revised Statutes 701.300 701.338.

Please note that many municipalities have additional requirements in addition to those discussed above.

For More Information

Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Hazardous Waste Program
P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176
800-361-4827 or 573-751-7560
573-751-7869 fax

Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Solid Waste Management Program
P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176
800-361-4827 or 573-751-5401
573-526-3902 fax

Missouri Department of Health
Office of Lead Licensing and Accreditation
888-837-0927 or 573-526-5873