The Missouri River is a vital resource to Missouri. It flows approximately 553 miles through Missouri transecting several major metropolitan areas. More than half of all Missourians receive their drinking water from the river and its alluvium. Missouri's interest in the river also includes recreation, power generation, water supply, river commerce, and fish and wildlife. From the 1930's to the 1960's, six dams were constructed on the Missouri River thereby creating the largest reservoir system in the United States. The Missouri River Reservoir System has the capacity to store approximately 73 million acre-feet of water (one acre-foot of water is equivalent to 325,851 gallons of water). The majority of this water is stored in the upper three reservoirs in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- Missouri River Reservoir Control Center (USACE) The home page for Missouri River Basin Water Management Information
- Daily River Bulletin (USACE) Missouri River daily reservoir levels and releases, river stage and discharge
- Daily Reservoir Data (USACE) Missouri River main stem and tributary reservoir storage, inflow, outflow, and more
- Daily Reservoir Temperature Data (USACE) Temperature reading at the mainstem reservoirs (in Fahrenheit)
- Basin Forecasts (NOAA) Morning river stage and up to 5-day forecast along the Missouri River from Sioux City, Iowa to St. Charles, Missouri
- Real-Time River Information (NOAA) Current and forecasted river stage information for 16 locations along the Missouri River from St. Joseph to St. Charles.
- Real-Time Stream Flows (USGS) Near-instantaneous information on Missouri River stage and discharge from MT-MO
- Groundwater Monitoring Well Network An excellent source for current information on Missouri's groundwater levels
- River Industry Bulletin Board Links to Coast Guard advisories, current river conditions, and more
Associations and Groups
- Coalition to Protect the Missouri River
- Missouri Levee and Drainage District Association
- Friends of the Big Muddy
- Missouri River Community Network
- Missouri River Relief
Projects and Studies
- Missouri River Flood Task Force (USACE) A temporary forum for federal, state, local, and Tribal governments to address issues related to the 2011 Missouri River flooding.
- Missouri River TMDL (MoDNR) Notice of the Total Maximum Daily Limit (TMDL) for Chlordane and PCB levels in fish taken from the Missouri River. Approved Novmber 3, 2006
- Missouri Resources Winter 2006 (MoDNR) Discussion of Missouri's interest in the Missouri River
- Lewis & Clark Water Trail (MoDNR) Trip planning tools and resources to help plan a paddling excursion on the lower Missouri River.
- Missouri River Authorized Purposes Study (USACE) Status and information on the study to re-examine the original project purposes of Missouri River basin projects managed by the Corps and Bureau of Reclamation, as established in the 1944 Flood Control Act.
- Missouri River Recovery Program (USACE) The Corps main portal to Recovery Program initiatives including, but not limited to, the Missouri River Recovery Implementation Committee (MRRIC) and the Science and Adaptive Management Plan.
- Missouri River Master Manual (USACE) 80 MB> The document by which the Corps is to operate the Missouri River mainstem reservoirs
- Missouri River Mitigation (USACE) Access to mitigation sites and activities in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri
- Missouri River Degradation Reconnaisance Study (USACE) The Kansas City District of the US Army Corps of Engineers is conducting a study of the Missouri River bed degradation from Rulo, NE to St. Louis.
- Missouri River Navigation Index Maps (USACE) Links to navigation charts from St. Louis to Ponca, Nebraska
- Missouri River Recovery and Associated Sediment Management Issues (National Research Council) Recently released report from the National Academy of Sciences related to sediment issues in the Missouri River
- Missouri lakes managed by the USACE Includes such lakes as Harry S. Truman, Pomme de Terre, Stockton, Smithville and Long Branch reservoirs
- Missouri River 2003 Amended Biological Opinion (USFWS) 2.3 MB A document created by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service which contains information and suggested alternatives for endangered species affected by the Missouri River mainstem reservoirs, the Missouri River Bank Stabilization and Navigation Project, and the Kansas River reservoir system