Missouri Mining Commission
The Missouri Mining Commission and Land Reclamation Program are responsible for the issuance of strip mining permits related to the mining of limestone, sand, gravel, clay, tar sands, barite, sandstone, granite and traprock. As part of the permitting process mining companies must provide financial assurances to the Land Reclamation Program that provide for reclamation should the company not be able to complete this activity. After the mining company completes all required reclamation, the commission releases these financial assurances and relieves the companies of any further reclamation liabilities. Hearings may be granted by the Administrative Hearing Commission (AHC), with respect to a proposed mining permit or when enforcement of a mining permit becomes necessary.
The commission also oversees Missouri’s Abandoned Mine Land Program. This program provides for the reclamation of abandoned coal mine sites within the state that include safety hazards such as steep and unstable highwalls and embankments, open mine shafts, abandoned mining equipment and facilities, dangerous impoundments, unsanitary trash dumps, and subsidence. Eligible environmental problems consist of acid mine drainage and sedimentation that pollute and clog streams. Finally, Missouri’s abandoned mine land emergency program allows the Land Reclamation Program to abate or control emergency situations in which adverse effects of past coal mining pose an immediate danger to the public.
Upcoming Commission Meetings
April 26, 2018, 9 a.m.
Missouri Mining Commission Teleconference Meeting
Lewis and Clark State Office Building
LaCharrette Conference Room
1101 Riverside Drive
Jefferson City, Mo.
(Teleconference phone number: 1-877-865-9753 no pin or passcode needed)
Future 2018 Meetings:
Thurs., July 26
Thurs., Oct. 25
Call 573-751-4041 for more information about meetings.
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
2018March 21 | mmcagenda |
January 25 | Rescheduled for March 21
July 27 | Cancelled due to a light agenda
January 26 | Cancelled due to a light agenda
July 28 | Cancelled due to a light agenda
March 24 | Cancelled due to a light agenda
Nov. 19 - Cancelled due to a light agenda
Sept. 24 - Cancelled due to a light agenda
Jan. 22 – Cancelled due to a light agenda
For copies of minutes before 2015, please email the Land Reclamation Program or call 573-751-4041 or 800-361-4827.
Call 573-751-4041 for more information.
- Dr. Gregory Haddock – Chairman, Associate Provost of Graduate Studies and Special Programs, Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville.
- Mike Larsen – Vice Chairman, Jefferson City.
- Dr. Leslie Gertsch – Associate Professor of Geological Engineering, Missouri University of Science & Technology, Rock Mechanics & Explosives Research Center, Rolla.
- Aaron Jeffries – Department of Conservation, Designee, Legislative Liaison, Jefferson City.
- Joe Gillman – State Geologist and Director of Missouri Geological Survey, Department of Natural Resources, Rolla.
- Chris Wieberg – Staff Director, Clean Water Commission, Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City.
- Larry Lehman – Staff Director, Missouri Mining Commission, Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City.