Permits and Engineering

If your place of business provides drinking water or if you're planning new or improved drinking water service for your customers, you may need a construction authorization permit from the department’s Public Drinking Water Branch.

Public water suppliers are also required to obtain an operating permit before putting newly constructed equipment, facilities or mains into operation. Permit section personnel review permit applications to ensure adequate water is available, the system is properly designed, and to verify that the system or equipment complies with all applicable standards and regulations prior to the issuance of the permit.

Working with the department to obtain the correct permit will help you stay in compliance with environmental regulations.


Minimum Standards for Community Water Systems  
Standards for Noncommunity Public Water Supplies

Backflow Prevention Program

Capacity Development Strategy


Financial Assistance

Phase-1 Engineering Report Services Grants
State Revolving Fund Loan Program


Public water systems provide water for human consumption through pipes or other constructed conveyances to at least 15 service connections or serve an average of at least 25 people for at least 60 days a year. There are three types of public water systems:

  • Community Water System: A public water system that supplies water to the same population year-round.
  • Nontransient Noncommunity Water System: A public water system that regularly supplies water to at least 25 of the same people at least six months per year, but not year-round. Some examples are schools, factories, office buildings, and hospitals which have their own water systems.
  • Transient Noncommunity Water System: A public water system that provides water in a place such as a gas station or campground where people do not remain for long periods of time.