When asbestos fibers become airborne, they may be so small that are invisible to the naked eye. Consequently, people can inhale them easily. Diseases associated with asbestos exposure include asbestosis and mesothelioma as well as cancer of the lungs, digestive tract and other organs. There is no safe level of asbestos exposure.
Several agencies regulate asbestos. The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is the state agency responsible for governing asbestos abatement projects in Missouri. Asbestos abatement encompasses all steps, materials and precautions necessary to remove and clean up asbestos.
The department’s asbestos regulations apply to commercial structures in Missouri and to some residential structures. Most single-family residences are exempt. Please see the asbestos fact sheets to help you determine if your structure is regulated. Links to the fact sheets appear below.
The department requires notification of demolitions and abatement projects involving regulated structures at least 10 working days before crews begin a project. The following links display notifications that the department has received in the last 90 days. For a complete history of notifications, see our archives at data.mo.gov or click on the Archives button located within each of the three datasets.
Completed and signed notifications may be sent to AsbestosNotifications@dnr.mo.gov.
- Asbestos, Brochure--PUB2276
- Asbestos: Inspection Report Requirements, Fact Sheet--PUB2349
- Asbestos Requirements for Demolition and Renovation Projects, Fact Sheet--PUB2157
- Asbestos Requirements for Demolition and Renovation Projects in Schools, Fact Sheet--PUB2554
- Asbestos: What is it and why is it a concern?, Fact Sheet--PUB2077
- Environmental Regulations for Demolition Project Checklist, Fact Sheet--PUB2374
- Guide to Our Air Pollution Enforcement Process, Fact Sheet--PUB2059
- How to Handle Asbestos-Containing Debris, Fact Sheet--PUB2121
- Management of Nonfriable Asbestos-Containing Materials, Fact Sheet--PUB2156
- Requirements for Fire Training Exercises Involving Structures, Fact Sheet--PUB2029
- Application for Asbestos Occupation Certification — Form MO 780-2667 As of Jan. 1, 2017, a fee increase applies to certification for all asbestos occupations. Form MO 760-2667 contains the details. This form includes information formerly found on Forms 1227 and 1228, which now are obsolete. Please note that submitting an incorrect fee will delay the processing of your application.
- Asbestos Business Exemption Application — Form MO 780-1222
- Asbestos Contractor Registration Application — Form MO 780-1224 As of Jan. 1, 2017, the fee for contractor registration is $2,650.
- Asbestos Inspection Report - Demolition/Renovation — Form MO 780-2130
- Asbestos NESHAP Notification of Demolition and Renovation — Form MO 780-1923 As of Jan. 1, 2017, the review fee is $100 for asbestos NESHAP notifications of demolitions and renovations.
- Asbestos NESHAP Notification of Demolition and Renovation Amendment — Form MO 780-1986
- Asbestos Notification Amendment — Form MO 780-1556
- Asbestos Post-Notification — Form MO 780-1225
- Asbestos Project Notification — Form MO 780-1226 As of Jan. 1, 2017, the review is $200 for notification of asbestos abatement projects.
- Training Course Accreditation — Form MO 780-1229 The department noticed an editing error on Form 1229 and corrected it.
Fill in forms will accept only a limited amount of information in each individual box. If you need to insert more information than the form will accept, use a supplemental sheet.
A convenience fee will apply to all payments with credit cards.
The fee goes to a third-party vendor, Collector Solutions, Inc., not the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Transaction Dollar Amount
The fees for digital transactions are in line with Chapter 37, Section 37.007, of Missouri’s revised statutes.
- The National Emission Standard for Asbestos - 40 CFR Part 61, Subpart M (61.140 - 61.157)
- Missouri Air Conservation Law Sections 643.225 - 643.250 of the Revised
Statues of Missouri:
- Missouri State Regulations 10 CSR 10-6.241 Asbestos Projects-Registration, Notification and Performance Requirements, and 10 CSR 10-6.250 Asbestos Abatement Projects - Certification, Accreditation and Business Exemption Requirements
- Asbestos Brochure
- Asbestos Health Effects
- Asbestos Public Service Announcements
- Asbestos-Containing Materials (EPA)
- National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program. View a list of approved laboratories for asbestos analysis.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Other Environmental Links
- What You Should Know About Asbestos (10 MB) VIDEO