Agriculture / Drinking Water Wells / Water Conservation Tips / Public Drinking Water Supplies

Drought Information - Water Planning and Monitoring in Missouri

The department's Water Resources staff monitor and evaluate hydrologic conditions during droughts. The department monitors groundwater levels in Missouri’s aquifers, which includes 164 monitoring wells statewide. Data collected by the groundwater monitoring wells is available online at

Agriculture Livestock and Crop Producers - Cost-Share Financial Assistance

During the drought of 2012, the Missouri Soil and Water Conservation Districts offered cost-share assistance to qualifying Missouri farmers suffering from the statewide drought. The program provided financial assistance to farmers to drill or deepen water wells or provided a water distribution system for livestock or crops that allowed an immediate material benefit.

The Drought of 2012 - Final Report

The 2012 Drought Assistance Emergency Cost-Share Program provided the following to farmers and land owners.Please contact your county’s Soil and Water Conservation District for further information about the program.

  • Normal soil and water cost-share programs provide 75 percent of the project cost, with the landowner covering the remaining 25 percent.
  • Under the emergency program, 90 percent of the eligible project cost were covered with landowners picking up the remaining 10 percent, with a maximum cost-share award of $20,000.
  • Producers who previously participated in cost-share projects for livestock watering practices were still able to participate.
  • Because of the emergency situation of the drought, applications from farmers for the cost-share program were required to submit applications by Aug. 6, 2012, to the local soil and water district.

For additional information, contact your county Soil and Water Conservation District or contact the department's Soil and Water Conservation Program staff at 800-361-4827 or 573-751-4932.

Additional Resources and Information for the Agricultural Community

Drinking Water Wells

The department's Missouri Geological Survey's Wellhead Protection staff ensure that private wells drilled in Missouri are constructed to standards as set by state regulations. This helps protect Missouri's groundwater resources from contamination due to poor well construction.  Learn more about proper well construction and groundwater protection.  Homeowners that may be experiencing reduced water supplies due to drought conditions should contact a permitted water well driller to determine what actions can be taken to address the situation. The department also has a list of permitted pump installers if a homeowner's pump needs to be replaced. For more information on wellhead protection, contact staff in the department's Missouri Geological Survey at 800-361-4827 or 573-368-2100.

  • Permitted Water Well Drillers – List (07/25/12)
  • Permitted Pump Installers – List (07/30/12)

Drinking Water Conservation Tips

Public Drinking Water Suppliers

Predicting when droughts occur or how long they will last is a difficult task. Droughts not only affect water supply, but also agriculture, recreation, tourism and industrial production. Water utilities should plan on the possibility of water shortages, know the impacts of water shortages and minimize those impacts by careful management of supply and demand.

Preparing for drought conditions involves planning and training by utility staff, educating the general public regarding drought impacts and water use. The department's Water Resources Center's has developed a Missouri Drought Plan that will help with planning and responding to a drought.

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is providing model ordinances that public water supplies may review and potentially develop water conservation ordinances in order to help conserve water as necessary. Suppliers should consult with their legal counsel before implementing the ordinances.

For more information and assistance, contact the department's Public Drinking Water Program at 573-751-5331 or 800-361-4827.