Open Record/Sunshine Requests
Missouri's Open Records Law (Chapter 610, RSMo) states that records of public governmental bodies are open to the public unless otherwise provided by law. Open records requests should be submitted to the department’s Custodian of Record. Requests may be submitted online using the link at the top of this page. You may also submit your request using the following contact information:
Attn: Dawn Brooks, Custodian of Record
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Please include the following information with your records request:
- Your name (and organization name, if applicable), and contact information, including: mailing address, phone and email;
- Whether you are interested in reviewing the records in person, or receiving paper or electronic copies
- The amount you are willing to pay for production costs, or if you would like an estimate of production costs beyond a certain amount
- Identifying information related to your records request, such as facility name, company address, permit number, etc.
- A list or description of the specific information you are requesting
Any information you provide to the department may be subject to disclosure upon request. If you have not been contacted by the department within three business days, contact the Custodian of Record to confirm receipt.
The department may invoice requesters to recover costs incurred in fulfilling records requests. This includes staff research, review and/or duplication time, as well a material costs, at the rates listed below.
- Clerical staff time (hourly rate)- $12.48/ hour
- Paper copies (less than 9 by 14 inches) - $0.10 per page
- Enlarger/printer copies from microfilm originals - $1
- Printer/plotters from digital files or paper copy (oversize copies) - $3 per sheet
- Microfilm/microfiche from original or diazo microfilm - $2
- 100’ roll silver microfilm (16mm or 35mm) - $30
- CD ROM - $3 per CD
Records may be furnished without charge or at a reduced charge if the requested information is likely to contribute to public understanding or benefit the general public and is not primarily for the commercial interest of the requester.
- Missouri Sunshine Law: Chapter 610, RSMo
- Missouri Attorney General’s Office website (Sunshine Law)
- Department Administrative Policy and Procedures, Chapter 2.02 Sunshine Law Requests
Questions and Comments
Please contact the department’s Custodian of Records at email@example.com, by phone at 573-751-3443 (or toll free 800-361-4827) or by mail at Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Attn: Custodian of Record, PO Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102.