Natural Disaster Assistance for Missouri Citizens - What to do After the Flood - Regulatory and Permitting Requirements


Department of Natural Resources fact sheet
Department of Natural Resources Director: Carol S. Comer


Public Water Supply Systems
Permits are not required for restoring power supply, including raising electrical service and equipment to a higher elevation. The repair of washed-out stream crossing, repairing or replacing existing water mains, and repairing or replacing water distribution systems will be considered maintenance, and will require no permit. Repair of flooded water supply wells and water treatment plants using identical parts and components will not require a permit.

Other improvements such as raising portions of the water treatment plants, water supply wells or backwash discharge lines should be reviewed by the department and issued an approval permit.

Municipal officials are encouraged to rely upon the knowledge and expertise of their own staffs. Department of Natural Resources operations specialists and engineering staff are also available for onsite consultation and advice.

Laboratory Testing
Analysis of drinking water samples will be the highest priority for both the Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Health and Senior Services. Lab testing requirements for public water systems will be coordinated by the department’s Public Drinking Water Branch. Private well testing will be coordinated by the Department of Health and Senior Services. Containers for sampling private drinking water wells are available through the county health departments or your district sanitarian. If you need assistance call the Department of Health and Senior Services’ State Public Health Laboratory at 573-751-0633.

Septic Tank Failures
See the department’s fact sheet Disaster Response for On-Site Wastewater Systems to assist individuals with septic tank failures available on the web at

Contact your local county health department or the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Environmental Regulations and Licensure, at 573-751-6095, with questions about on-site wastewater system repair or replacement.

Wastewater Treatment Plants
Construction permits are not required for emergency measures to return sewage collection or treatment facilities to service or to replace identical parts or components to sewage collection or treatment facilities.

Construction permits are required for facilities that are repaired or rebuilt to a design that is different from the previous facility or for new facilities.

Municipal officials are encouraged to rely upon the knowledge and expertise of their own staffs. Department of Natural Resources operations specialists and engineering staff are also available for onsite consultation and advice.

Damaged or Unusable Hazardous Chemicals at Businesses

Drums, Tanks and Barrels

Flood Debris
The following suggestions may assist in collection, separation, transportation and disposal of flood debris and water damage items.

For more information, see the department’s fact sheet What to do with Disaster Debris available on the web at

Trapped or Ponded Flood Waters
Flood waters trapped behind levees or ponds in low-lying areas may be pumped or released back to the adjacent river or stream without obtaining a discharge permit from the Department of Natural Resources. If there is reason to believe that the trapped flood water is contaminated with agricultural fertilizers or pesticides, petroleum products or other chemical contaminants, contact the department’s Environmental Emergency Response hotline at 573-634-2436.

Regional Offices
The Department of Natural Resources’ Regional Offices provide field inspections, complaint investigation and front-line troubleshooting, problem solving and compliance assistance on environmental issues and emergencies.

Kansas City Regional Office

500 NE Colbern Road
Lee’s Summit, MO 64086-4710
816-622-7044 fax
Counties served: Andrew, Atchison, Bates, Benton, Buchanan, Caldwell, Cass, Clay, Clinton, Daviess, DeKalb, Gentry, Harrison, Henry, Holt, Jackson, Johnson, Lafayette, Nodaway, Pettis, Platte, Ray and Worth.

Northeast Regional Office
1709 Prospect Dr.
Macon, MO 63552-2602
660-385-8090 fax
Counties served: Adair, Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Carroll, Chariton, Clark, Cole, Cooper, Grundy, Howard, Knox, Lewis, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Marion, Mercer, Moniteau, Monroe, Osage, Pike, Putnam, Ralls, Randolph, Saline, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby and Sullivan.

Southeast Regional Office
2155 N. Westwood Blvd.
P.O. Box 1420
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
573-840-9754 fax
Counties served: Bollinger, Butler, Cape Girardeau, Carter, Crawford, Dent, Dunklin, Howell, Iron, Madison, Maries, Mississippi, New Madrid, Oregon, Pemiscot, Perry, Phelps, Pulaski, Reynolds, Ripley, Scott, Shannon, St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, Stoddard, Texas, Washington and Wayne.

Southwest Regional Office
2040 W. Woodland
Springfield, MO 65807-5912
417-891-4399 fax
Counties served: Barry, Barton, Camden, Cedar, Christian, Dade, Dallas, Douglas, Greene, Hickory, Jasper, Laclede, Lawrence, McDonald, Miller, Morgan, Newton, Ozark, Polk, St. Clair, Stone, Taney, Vernon, Webster and Wright.

St. Louis Regional Office
7545 S. Lindbergh, Suite 210
St. Louis, MO 63125
314-416-2970 fax
Counties served: Franklin, Gasconade, Jefferson, Lincoln, Montgomery, St. Charles and St. Louis.