News Release 154
Open house on September 14 honors retired miners at Missouri Mines State Historic Site
For more information: 573-751-1010 or email
Volume 41-154 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Sept. 10, 2013
Jefferson City, Mo. - The public is invited to enjoy exhibits, presentations and free museum admission at the Old Mine Open House on Saturday, Sept. 14, at Missouri Mines State Historic Site in Park Hills. Sponsored by Missouri State Parks, the open house will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Retired Lead Belt miners, millmen and other lead-company workers are the honored guests, and will be on hand to answer questions and describe what it was like to work in the lead mines many years ago. A special collection of old miners’ lamps, some dating back to the late 18th century, will also be included. Local mining artifacts, photographs and paper items recently acquired by the historic site will also be displayed.
Admission to the site and its mining and mineral museum will be free during the open house. The site’s museum contains exhibits on geology and mineral resources, and pieces of restored underground mining equipment.
Missouri Mines State Historic Site is located in Park Hills on the south side of Highway 32 at the Flat River Drive overpass. For more information on the event, contact the site at 573-431-6226. For more information on state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com. Missouri State Parks is a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.