News Release 303
Open house Sept. 17 honors retired miners at Missouri Mines State Historic Site
Volume 39-303 (For Immediate Release)
For more information: 573-751-1010
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., SEPT. 8, 2011 -- Exhibits, presentations and free museum admission will highlight the Old Mine Open House Saturday, Sept. 17 , at Missouri Mines State Historic Site in Park Hills. The open house will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the public is invited to attend.
Retired Lead Belt miners, millmen and other lead-company workers will be honored guests and be on hand to answer questions and describe what it was like to work in the lead mines many years ago. Included in the open house will be a special collection of old miners’ lamps, some dating back to the late 18th century. Local mining artifacts, photographs and paper items recently acquired by the historic site will also be displayed.
Admission to the site and its mining and mineral museum will be free during the open house. The site’s museum contains exhibits on geology and mineral resources, and pieces of restored underground mining equipment.
Missouri Mines State Historic Site is located in Park Hills on the south side of Highway 32 at the Flat River Drive overpass. For more information, contact the site at 573-431-6226 or the Department of Natural Resources toll free at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf). For more information about state parks and historic sites, visit mostateparks.com.