News Release 241

Federal grant will help preserve Missouri's covered bridges

Volume 39-241 (For Immediate Release)
For more information: 573-751-1010

JEFFERSON CITY, MO., JUNE 11, 2011 -- Two of Missouri's historic covered bridges will receive additional protection and preservation, thanks to a federal grant awarded to Missouri State Parks.

The federal grant for $144,788 from the Federal Highway Administration will be used for projects at Sandy Creek Covered Bridge State Historic Site near Goldman in Jefferson County and Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site west of Paris in Monroe County. The grants are through the National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program and are intended to assist the states in their efforts to preserve, rehabilitate or restore the nation's historic covered bridges.

"Our state park system preserves the best of Missouri's landmarks and these covered bridges are an important part of our history and legacy. It is imperative we preserve them and this grant will assist us with those efforts," said Bill Bryan, Missouri State Parks director, a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

At Sandy Creek Covered Bridge, the department will use the grant to remove graffiti and apply a sealant that will make it easier to remove future graffiti; install two infrared cameras with motion sensors to record activities at the bridge; and install two heat detectors for fire protection. At Union Covered Bridge, water pressure from the flood in 2008 caused some structural members and pinning elements to become loose. The department will use the grant to hire a structural engineer familiar with covered bridges to inspect and advise officials on a solution. The grant also will be used to realign roof rafters and replace the wooden shingles; remove graffiti and apply a sealant that will make it easier to remove future graffiti; and repair fire detection equipment damaged by flood events.

The grants will fund 80 percent of the project with the state supplying the remaining 20 percent. The department anticipates the work to begin in 2012.

For more information about Missouri's covered bridges, contact the Missouri Department of Natural Resources at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) or visit mostateparks.com.

###