News Release 123
Three area communities receive federal grants for historic preservation projects
Volume 39-123 (For Immediate Release)
For more information: 573-751-1010
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., APRIL 22, 2011—Three area communities will receive grants through the federal Historic Preservation Fund, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources announced today.
The following communities are Certified Local Governments and will receive grants:
- The city of Excelsior Springs will receive $12,960 grant to complete a National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form for the “Historic and Architectural Resources of Excelsior Springs” and an intensive historic/architectural survey of mineral wells, springs and pavilions in downtown Excelsior Springs. This project will aid in the development of educational programs, tourism and marketing projects and will provide the foundation for listing sites in the National Register of Historic Places.
- The city of Lee’s Summit will receive a $10,528 grant to complete National Register of Historic Places nominations for three architecturally significant residential historic districts and one individual residential property located in the Old Town area west of downtown Lee’s Summit. The project area includes properties constructed approximately from 1870 through the 1950s.
- The city of Warrensburg will receive a $12,000 grant to prepare a National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form for the “Historic and Architectural Resources of Warrensburg” and a historic district nomination for the Grover Street Victorian Historic District.
The National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 authorizes a program of federal matching grants, known as the Historic Preservation Fund, to assist the various states in carrying out historic preservation activities. The program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, and in Missouri, is administered through the Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office.
A minimum of 10 percent of the Historic Preservation Fund monies are earmarked for exclusive use by Certified Local Governments. CLGs are communities that have established a historic preservation program that meets certain standards set by the state and the National Park Service. Local governments that maintain CLG status are considered partners with the SHPO and the NPS in the nation’s historic preservation program. Missouri currently has 50 local governments that have attained CLG status.
The grants were awarded based on a competitive scoring process and the direct relation of the projects to the identification, evaluation or protection of historical, architectural or archaeological resources.
For more information about the CLG program, visit the department's SHPO website at dnr.mo.gov/shop/certifie.htm or contact Jo Ann Radetic at 573-522-2473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.