News Release 592
“Fall Rocks” Oct. 23 at Missouri Mines State Historic Site
Volume 38-592 (For Immediate Release)
For more information: 573-751-1010
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., OCT. 14, 2010 -- Come to Missouri Mines State Historic Site in Park Hills on Saturday, Oct. 23 for an autumn evening of family fun and education. Sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and The Doe Run Company, the event will run from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and is free to the public.
The entire family will enjoy games and activities relating to mining, mineral resources and recreational safety. Admission to the site’s museum will be free and refreshments will be offered.
Missouri Mines State Historic Site preserves and interprets the important buildings and structural elements of the former St. Joe Mineral Corp.’s largest mine-mill complex. The site’s museum features restored underground mining equipment, a large display of mineral specimens, exhibits on mining history and a short video on lead mining and the milling process. The site is located on the south side of Highway 32 at the Flat River Drive overpass in Park Hills.
For more information, contact Missouri Mines State Historic Site at 573-431-6226 or the Department of Natural Resources toll free at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf). For more information about Missouri state parks and historic sites, visit the Web at www.mostateparks.com.
For news releases on the Web, visit www.dnr.mo.gov/newsrel. For a complete listing of upcoming meetings and events in the state park system, visit the online calendar at www.dnr.mo.gov/calendar/parkssearch.do.