News Release 495

DNR recognizes MARC and Kansas City Southern Railway for Recovery Act project that will help reduce diesel emissions, improve air quality

Volume 38-495 (For Immediate Release)
Contact: Renee Bungart
573-751-4465

JEFFERSON CITY, MO, AUG. 24, 2010 -- The Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ director Mark N. Templeton along with the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency today recognized the Mid-America Regional Council and the Kansas City Southern Railway Company for a project that will help reduce diesel emissions and improve air quality in Kansas City.

The Department of Natural Resources received approximately $1.73 million in grant funds for the State Allocated Diesel Emission Reduction Act, or DERA, through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.  The department issued a subgrant to the Mid-America Regional Council, or MARC, to administer the clean diesel grant program in the Kansas City area.

The Kansas City Southern Railway Company received a $43,084 DERA grant that funded 75 percent of the cost to purchase and install automatic engine shutdown/startup devices on five locomotives. Kansas City Southern Railway Company provided the remaining 25 percent to fund the project.  This technology will reduce the amount of times the locomotives spend idling, thus both reducing diesel emissions and conserving diesel fuel.

“Railroads are essential to the American economy for transporting cargo across the country; however, they also contribute to diesel emissions,” said Mark N. Templeton, Director of the Department of Natural Resources.  By retrofitting the locomotives with this technology, there will be more than 1,400 tons of emissions avoided over the remaining life of the locomotives. This helped create jobs, will help improve air quality in the Kansas City area and will save Kansas City Southern Railway more than 20,000 gallons of diesel fuel each year.”

Diesel emissions contain both oxides of nitrogen and volatile organic compounds thus contributing to the formation of ground-level ozone.  Reducing diesel emissions in the Kansas City area will help improve air quality and take a step forward toward achieving and maintaining the ambient air quality standards that EPA sets to protect public health and the environment.

For more information on the federal Recovery Act, visit www.recovery.gov.  For more information on Missouri’s transform initiatives, visit www.transform.mo.gov.  For more information on the department’s initiatives, contact the department’s Air Pollution Control Program, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176 or call 800-361-4827 or 573-751-4817 or visit the department’s website at dnr.mo.gov/env/apcp.

###