Attend the Old Mine open house Sept. 26 at Missouri Mines State Historic Site
For more information: 573-751-1010
Volume 37-329 For Immediate Release: Sept. 11, 2009
JEFFERSON CITY, MO. -- Exhibits, presentations and free museum admission will highlight the Old Mine Open House Saturday, Sept. 26, at Missouri Mines State Historic Site in Park Hills. Sponsored by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, the open house will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the public is invited.
Retired Lead Belt miners, mill men and other lead-company workers will be on hand to answer questions and describe what it was like to work in the lead mines many years ago. Included in the open house will be a special collection of old miners' lamps, some dating back to the mid-18th century. Local mining artifacts, photographs and paper items recently acquired by the historic site will also be displayed.
Admission to the site and its mining and mineral museum will be free during the open house. The site's museum contains exhibits on geology and mineral resources, and pieces of restored underground mining equipment.
Missouri Mines State Historic Site is located in Park Hills on the south side of Highway 32 at the Flat River Drive overpass. For more information, contact the site at 573- 431-6226 or the Department of Natural Resources toll free at 800-334-6946 (voice) or 800-379-2419 (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf). For more information about state parks and historic sites, visit the Web at www.mostateparks.com.