Nineteen small public drinking water systems selected to receive up to a $10,000 grant for engineering studies

For more information: 573-751-1010
Volume 37-278 For Immediate Release: Aug. 24, 2009

JEFFERSON CITY, MO.--The Missouri Department of Natural Resources announced today it has selected 19 small public drinking water systems to receive up to $10,000 each to pay for engineering report services.   During tough economic times, this infusion of grant funding will help the systems protect its customers and the environment by evaluating their drinking water systems.

“These funds allow small public water systems to hire an engineer to study their water system and to advise them on how to achieve or maintain compliance with drinking water rules and regulations,” said Department of Natural Resources Director Mark N. Templeton.  “Providing this money will help customers of these small systems receive safe drinking water.”

Recipients must be a community water system that serves or benefits 3,300 people or less.  The funds can only be used to hire a Missouri-Certified Professional Engineer.  The recipients are also required to make a good faith effort to obtain funding to construct the projects recommended in the engineering report.

Public water systems that have received an engineering report are given preferential consideration when applying for a loan from the Missouri State Revolving Loan Fund. Public drinking water systems selected to receive an engineering report services grant include:

County – Water System
Camden County – Big Bear Estates, Village of Sunrise Beach  
Cass County – Archie
Cedar County – Stockton Hills Water Company
Christian County – Highlandville
Franklin County – Beauty View Acres
Holt County – Craig
Howard County – Howard County Regional Water Commission
Johnson County – PWSD #3 of Johnson County
Madison County – Marquand
Maries County – Martin Subdivision
Morgan County – Johnson Bay
Pettis County – Show-Me Christian Youth Home
Reynolds County – Ellington
Saline County – Slater   
Stone County – Kimberling City-Golden Acres
Washington County – Rogue Creek Utilities
Wayne County – Community Water Supply, Lost Creek Water Company

For more information, call the Department of Natural Resources’ Public Drinking Water Branch at 800-361-4827 or 573-751-5331.