Historic Preservation Council to consider nominations for National Register Two Nominees located in Southeast Missouri
For more information: 573-751-1010
Volume 37-128 For Immediate Release: May 14, 2009
JEFFERSON CITY, MO., -- The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation will consider nominations to the National Register of Historic Places during its quarterly meeting May 15 in Jefferson City. The meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 9 a.m. in the La Charrette conference room of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Lewis and Clark State Office Building, 1101 Riverside Drive.
Fourteen nominations are scheduled to be considered for listing in the National Register. Properties on the agenda include historic residences, commercial buildings, bridges and historic districts. In total, the nominations represent approximately 341 historic structures.
The following two properties in southeast Missouri are being considered:
The Fredericktown Courthouse Square Historic District is centered around the Madison County Courthouse. Though most of the district's 26 historic commercial buildings were constructed between c. 1890 and 1940, the layout of the square and surrounding streets dates back to the designation of Fredericktown as the county seat in 1819. The early growth and prosperity of the commercial district was assured both by the county seat designation and the town's proximity to Mine LaMotte. Additionally, the transition from a cluster of frame buildings to sturdy brick commercial blocks corresponds roughly with the new prosperity associated with the peak production of lead and cobalt at the mine for the Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II.
The Erlbacher Buildings in Cape Girardeau are two survivors of the time when architects designed buildings with curved corners suggested by the aerodynamic lines of planes, automobiles, locomotives and ships of the 1930s and 1940s. Although latecomers (they were built in 1958), the matching Erlbacher Buildings exemplify the Streamline Moderne style of architecture, which they also emphasize horizontality. Along with curved corners, the two-story brick buildings feature bands of windows that wrap into the side elevations. Eddie Erlbacher constructed the buildings for commercial leasing, and the original tenants were an automobile dealership and a dry cleaning establishment.
Other properties located throughout the state that are being considered include:
- Blackwater Residential Historic District, Blackwater, Cooper County
- Munichburg Commercial Historic District, Jefferson City
- Travelers Hotel, Kirksville
- Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Excelsior Springs
- Oliver H. Dean Building, Kansas City
- Pythian Home of Missouri, Springfield
- Moorlands Addition Apartment District, Clayton
- Ladue Estates, Creve Coeur
- Route 66 in Missouri, a National Register Multiple Property Cover Document
- Meramec River Route 66 Bridge, Eureka
- National Candy Co., St. Louis
- William A. Stickney Cigar Co. Building, St. Louis
In addition to nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the council will receive status reports on programs provided by the State Historic Preservation Office and discuss business related to its own function and duties.
The Missouri Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is a 12-member group of historians, architects, archaeologists and citizens with an interest in historic preservation. The council is appointed by the governor and works with the Department of Natural Resources' State Historic Preservation Office, which administers the National Register program for Missouri. The council meets quarterly to review Missouri property nominations to the National Register, the nation's honor roll of historic properties. Approved nominations are forwarded to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C., for final approval.
For more information about the May 15 meeting or the council, call the State Historic Preservation Office at 573-751-7858 or the Department toll free at 800-361-4827.