The department provides technical support by performing water supply analyses, in-stream flow assessments and floodplain studies. The surface water section also administers the collection and analysis of statewide water use data in accordance with the Major Water User Law.
- National Weather Service River Observations and Forecasts – The River Observations and Forecasts page provides a comprehensive view of current river stage and forecasts for nearly the entire state of Missouri.
- Stream Gauges – the department partners with the USGS to operate a network of stream gauges in Missouri that provides the current conditions of Missouri’s streamflow.
UPDATE – May 4, 2017: Difficult budget reductions are necessary in order to balance a budget. Despite the funding reductions, however, eliminating Missouri’s stream gauges was never an option. The Department of Natural Resources has been working with USGS and other partners to secure additional resources that will continue supporting Missouri’s stream gauges. The department has always been optimistic that we will be able to maintain these important gauges.
- Current Lake Observations
- Reservoir Water Supply Studies
- Publications about water resources in Missouri