Geological Survey Program
Water, Heat Pump and Monitoring Wells
We are here to ensure any new private well drilled in Missouri is constructed to minimum standards as set by state regulations. This helps protect our groundwater resources from contamination due to poor well construction. The Department's Wellhead Protection Section regulates the construction of private water wells (this includes domestic and multiple family class wells), irrigation wells, monitoring wells and heat pump wells. In addition, we regulate how to properly plug all types of wells. Our job is to balance the concerns of the land owner and the driller, while at the same time performing our overall directive of protecting Missouri's vast underground water supply from contamination due to improper construction and abandonment of wells. Below are general subjects that may be of interest you. Please let us know if you have any questions or any ideas about how we can work together better.
Wellhead Protection Section staff members received inquiries requesting that variances continue to be granted for a period of time allowing the construction of direct push monitoring wells utilizing a 2 ¼ diameter borehole. This is inconsistent with the Missouri Well Construction Rules that went into effect August 1, 2011. The current rule states that a 3 ¼ borehole is required. However, in light of these inquiries and the possible confusion from the rule change, a grace period of six months from the date the rules became effective was granted for all monitoring well contractors and licensed drillers. Understand that no variances of this nature will be granted, because the grace period expired February 1, 2012. Therefore, in the time given, contractors and drillers must attain the ability to construct direct push monitoring wells with a 3 ¼ inch diameter borehole if the continued installation of small diameter direct push monitoring wells in Missouri is desired. Thank you for your cooperation.
NOTICE: Change to Water Well Construction Standards House Bill 250
- Well Driller Information – Search for Well or Pump Installation Contractors
- Well Information Management System (WIMS) – Search well records for wells drilled after November 1987
- Well Online Form Submittal System (WOLFS) – Submit online FAQ – PUB2440 (06/12)
Forms, FAQs and Publications
- Forms, Applications and Permits
- Missouri Water Well Drillers Law FAQ – PUB2193 (10/11)
- Dye Trace Information and Instructions for Well Owners – PUB2216 (3/12)
- Prenotification Requirements Fact Sheet – PUB2447 (8/12)
- Permitting Process Fact Sheet – PUB2448 (8/12)
- Miscellaneous Wellhead Protection Section Publications
- The Connection newsletter