Geological Survey Program
Southeast Missouri Earthquakes
Great Central U.S. ShakeOut! | Earthquake Science | SEMA Preparedness | FEMA Preparedness | FEMA Mitigation
Recent Earthquakes | Earthquake Awareness Month Activities | Preparedness Videos Created by Students
Earthquakes in southeast Missouri are not rare.
Sixty-eight earthquakes that ranged between Magnitude 2.0 and Magnitude 3.9 shook southeast Missouri from 2009-2011.
Two hundred thirty-six earthquakes that ranged between Magnitude 2.0 and Magnitude 4.9 shook southeast Missouri from 2000-2010.
Four earthquakes measuring magnitude 4.5 or greater occurred in the zone since 1974 (as of February 21, 2012).
Date: 1976/03/25 Origin Time of Earthquake (UTC): 00:41:20.5000 Latitude: 35.59000 Longitude: -90.48000 Depth (km): 15.0000 Magnitude: 5.0 Google location: Map
Date: 1976/03/25 Origin Time of Earthquake (UTC): 01:00:11.9000 Latitude: 35.61000 Longitude: -90.48000 Depth (km): 15.0000 Magnitude: 4.5 Google location: Map
Date: 1990/09/26 Origin Time of Earthquake (UTC): 13:18:51.7100 Latitude: 37.15200 Longitude: -89.61300 Depth (km): 1.0000 Magnitude: 4.8 Google location: Map
Date: 1991/05/04 Origin Time of Earthquake (UTC): 01:18:54.6000 Latitude: 36.57500 Longitude: -89.82500 Depth (km): 11.2000 Magnitude: 4.5 Google location: Map
Data collected from the New Madrid Earthquake Catalog maintained by the Center for Earthquake Research and Information. Search the catalog for other occurrences, create a map and learn more about occurrences in the New Madrid Seismic Zone.
- The New Madrid Seismic Zone
- Facts About New Madrid Seismic Zone
- Earthquake Occurrences in Southeast Missouri
- History of Earthquakes in Missouri
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Measuring Earthquakes
- Relationship of Increasing Magnitudes
- Relationship Between Richter Magnitude and Modified Mercalli Intensity
- Recent Earthquakes in Central US
- What to do before, during and after an earthquake
- Earthquake Hazard in the New Madrid Seismic Zone Remains a Concern
- Earthquake Scenario -- 2011 Exercise
- Eyewitness Accounts of the 1811-12 New Madrid Earthquakes
- Seismographs in Missouri -- The USArray Transportable Array
- Earthquake Info -- News articles (searchable) compiled by the Central United States Earthquake Consortium
- Did you feel it?
- Missouri Seismic Safety Commission
- Additional Links