Water Protection Program
Total Maximum Daily Load, or TMDL,
Water Body Record
Big River, Flat River Creek and Shaw Branch
Approved March 24, 2010
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, approved the TMDL document for Big River (WBIDs 2074, 2080), Flat River Creek (WBID 2168) and Shaw Branch (WBID 2170), St. Francois and Jefferson counties.
- Non volatile Suspended Solids (Inorganic Sediment).
- Zinc (Flat River Creek only).
To address the listed pollutants, TMDLs were calculated for:
- Dissolved lead.
- Total suspended solids.
- Dissolved zinc.
Documents in this record:
- Approved Big River, Flat River Creek and Shaw Branch TMDL.
- Big River and Flat River Creek Information Sheet and Shaw Branch TMDL Information Sheet.
- EPA approval letter - This includes the EPA Region 7 TMDL Review pages in which they document how this TMDL meets all of their requirements.
- Submittal letter transferring the TMDL to EPA for approval.
- Comments and responses - The department received three comment letters during the first public notice period, which was from Dec. 20, 2006 to Jan. 19, 2008. Another letter was received during the second public notice, which was from Sept. 24 to Oct. 24, 2007.
Note: Comments were received from EPA and the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service after submittal. Those comments were addressed prior to approval.