Solid Waste Management Program
Common Methods for Controlling Mosquitoes
in Scrap Tires
Eliminate places where mosquitoes breed by:
- Storing tires indoors or covering them with a waterproof tarp to prevent water accumulation.
- For tires stored outdoors, place a two-inch circular water drainage hole in the “down hill”
section of each tire.
- Cut out and remove the sidewalls then stack tire pieces so that water will not accumulate.
- Maintain about ¼ cup of rock salt in each tire, and repeat as necessary.
Use a common sprayer apparatus to:
- Apply a 1 to 1 bleach and water solution at least every two weeks.
- Apply a 1 to 5 soap and water solution at least every two weeks
(NOTE: both bleach or soap solutions can degrade in sunlight.)
- Apply a thin film of lightweight mineral oil at least every two weeks.
- According to the manufacturer’s guidelines, apply a commercially prepared mosquito control product (insecticide) available at most stores. Some are biodegradable.