Purpose of the E-waste Workgroup

The department’s E-waste Workgroup has two purposes:

  • To provide an opportunity for active participation in a review and enhancement of the existing regulatory framework for e-waste management in the state, and
  • To ensure Missouri’s e-waste management system is developed in such a manner as to make it - simple, understandable, cost effective and enforceable.


Why focus on e-waste?

Today, e-waste is the fastest growing waste stream (about 4 percent growth a year).   The US EPA estimates that in 2011, the US generated nearly 3.4 million tons of e-waste.  But only about 25 percent of that was collected for recycling.  The other 75 percent went to landfills and incinerators.  About 400 million units per year of consumer electronics are scrapped, according to recycling industry experts.  As technology continues to advance at a rapid pace, electronic products are becoming obsolete even more quickly than in the past, resulting in even more products being discarded and disposed, even if they still work.

A review of the current status of e-waste management and its regulatory framework in Missouri is important to increasing e-waste materials diverted from landfills and ensuring increased volumes of those e-waste materials or product components are returned to a manufacturing process rather than to a landfill or incinerator. 

What is e-waste?

E-waste is a popular, informal name for electronic products nearing the end of their “useful life”.  Many of these products can be reused, refurbished or recycled.

Missouri’s Current Manufacturer Responsibility and Consumer Convenience Equipment Act (2008)

Missouri’s current e-waste law, the “Manufacturer Responsibility and Consumer Convenience Equipment Act” found in the Missouri Revised Statutes at Sections 260.1050 to 260.1101, RSMo, was passed by the Missouri legislature and signed into law in 2008. This act requires computer manufacturers to implement recovery plans for the collection and recycling or reuse of certain computer equipment at no additional cost to households or home businesses. The Missouri legislature delegated the authority to enforce the requirements of the act to the Department of Natural Resources and required the department to put the law into effect by publishing and implementing a rule. The “Electronics Scrap Management” rule,  10 CSR 25-19.010, became effective April 30, 2010.  To learn more about the “Manufacturer Responsibility and Consumer Convenience Equipment Act” and its implementation, you can visit the Hazardous Waste Program E-scrap webpage.

Other States E-waste Statutes, Implementing Regulations and Reports



New Hampshire
South Carolina
New York
West Virginia
 Rhode Island