Missouri Mining Commission
The Missouri Mining Commission is the ruling body over Missouri’s mining issues set forth in three separate state statutes. These mining statutes protect public health, safety and the environment from the adverse effect of mining and assure the beneficial restoration of mined lands. The seven-member commission includes three statutory and four public members. The statutory members are the state geologist, the director of the Missouri
The Missouri Mining Commission and Land Reclamation Program are responsible for the issuance of strip mining permits related to the mining of limestone, sand, gravel, clay, tar sands, barite, sandstone, granite and traprock. As part of the permitting process mining companies must provide financial assurances to the Land Reclamation Program that provide for reclamation should the company not be able to complete this activity. After the mining company completes all required reclamation, the commission releases these financial assurances and relieves the companies of any further reclamation liabilities. The commission decides when public hearings are necessary. Hearings may be granted with respect to a proposed mining permit or when enforcement of a mining permit becomes necessary.
The commission also oversees Missouri’s Abandoned Mine Land Program. This program provides for the reclamation of abandoned coal mine sites within the state that include safety hazards such as steep and unstable highwalls and embankments, open mine shafts, abandoned mining equipment and facilities, dangerous impoundments, unsanitary trash dumps, and subsidence. Eligible environmental problems consist of acid mine drainage and sedimentation that pollute and clog streams. Finally, Missouri’s abandoned mine land emergency program allows the Land Reclamation Program to abate or control emergency situations in which adverse effects of past coal mining pose an immediate danger to the public.
All meetings are scheduled at the Lewis and Clark State Office Building in the Nightingale Creek Conference Room at 9 a.m. unless indicated otherwise.
Call 573-751-4041 for more information about meetings.
Jan. 22 – Cancelled due to a light agenda
Sept. 25 - Cancelled due to a light agenda.
March 27 - Cancelled
Jan. 23 – Cancelled due to a light agenda.
Oct. 25 | Agenda
Jan. 24 – Cancelled due to a light agenda.
For copies of minutes before 2013, please email the Land Reclamation Program or call 573-751-4041 or 800-361-4827.
Missouri Mining Commission Members
- Dr. Gregory Haddock – Chairman, Acting Dean of the Melvin D. and Valorie G. Booth College of Business and Professional Studies, Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School, Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville.
- Mike Larsen – Vice Chairman, Jefferson City.
- Dr. Leslie Gertsch – Associate Professor of Geological Engineering, Missouri University of Science & Technology, Rock Mechanics & Explosives Research Center, Rolla.
- Aaron Jeffries – Department of Conservation, Designee, Legislative Liaison, Jefferson City.
- Joe Gillman – State Geologist and director of Missouri Geological Survey, Department of Natural Resources, Rolla.
- John Madras – Staff Director, Clean Water Commission, Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City.
- Kevin Mohammadi – Staff Director, Missouri Mining Commission, Department of Natural Resources, Jefferson City.
Call 573-751-4041 for more information.