Rules in Development
The following rule developments are being considered. The regulatory impact report provides information on the rule development. Please provide comments in the time frames indicated. All comments received will be posted with responses prior to filing as a proposed rulemaking. Once filed and published in the Missouri Register, there will be another opportunity to comment during the proposed rulemaking open comment period and public hearing prior to adoption. Thank you for your interest and assistance in developing these rules.
Proposed Amendments to Rules in Title 10, Division 25 of the Code of State Regulations
Department staff have been working with stakeholders and participants in the Hazardous Waste Forum to develop a group of proposed changes to the hazardous waste rules in Title 10, Division 25 of the Code of State Regulations (10 CSR 25). House Bill 1251 (HB 1251), passed by the 2012 General Assembly and codified in Section 260.373 RSMo, required the department to identify existing rules in Chapters 3, 4, 5 and 7 of 10 CSR 25 that need to be amended to be consistent with the requirements of Section 260.373. That section limits the authority of the Missouri Hazardous Waste Management Commission (HWMC) to adopt rules that are stricter than, or that establish requirements sooner than, the corresponding federal regulations in certain subject areas. The department has completed the identification and review process for these chapters and has completed an initial draft of the proposed rule amendments that will implement the necessary changes.
In addition to the changes related to “no stricter than”, multiple rules in 10 CSR 25 will be amended to update the incorporation by reference of the Code of Federal Regulations. In October 2012, the Commission approved a finding of necessity to update the incorporation by reference to the 2012 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), but that effort was put on hold while the no stricter than changes were developed. Now that that process is complete, the necessary amendments to update the adoption of the CFR to the July 1, 2013 edition may proceed. The department proposes to also adopt two additional rules published by EPA since July 1, 2012.
The additional amendments during this time period that would be incorporated are:
- Conditional Exclusion for Solvent Contaminated Wipes
- Hazardous Waste Management System; Modification of the Hazardous Waste Manifest System; Electronic Manifests
The Regulatory Impact Report for this rulemaking has been published and the comment period is now open. A notice was published in the Jefferson City News Tribune on [insert date of publication here]. With this publication, the comment period is now open for a period of sixty days. Comments will be accepted until [insert date of close of public comment period here]. Comments may be submitted by email or by mail to the addresses below:
Tim Eiken, Rules Coordinator
Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Hazardous Waste Program
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176
- Report to Hazardous Waste Management Commission on HB 1251
- Final Draft of Proposed Rule Text for Changes to Title 10, Division 25, Chapters 3, 4, 5 and 7
List of rules to be amended
- 10 CSR 25-3.260 - Definitions, Modifications to Incorporations and Confidential Business Information
- 10 CSR 25-4.261 - Methods for Identifying Hazardous Waste
- 10 CSR 25-5.262 - Standards Applicable to Generators of Hazardous Waste
- 10 CSR 25-6.263 - Standards for Transporters of Hazardous Waste
- 10 CSR 25 7.264 - Standards for Owners and Operators of Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities
- 10 CSR 25-7.265 - Interim Status Standards for Owners and Operators of Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities
- 10 CSR 25-7.266 - Standards for the Management of Specific Hazardous Wastes and Specific Types of Hazardous Waste Management Facilities
- 10 CSR 25-7.268 - Land Disposal Restrictions
- 10 CSR 25-7.270 - Missouri Administered Permit Programs: The Hazardous Waste Permit Program
- 10 CSR 25-8.124 - Public Participation
- 10 CSR 25-9.020 - Hazardous Waste Resource Recovery Processes
- 10 CSR 25-11.279 - Recycled Used Oil Management Standards
- 10 CSR 25-12.010 - Fees and Taxes
- 10 CSR 25-13.010 - Polychlorinated Biphenyls
- 10 CSR 25-16.273 - Standards for Universal Waste Management
For questions about the rulemaking process, the review and identification process for the affected rules, or the report to the commission, please contact Tim Eiken, Rules Coordinator of the Hazardous Waste Program at 573-522-8057.