Hardesty Federal Complex
The former Kansas City Quartermaster Depot, also known as the Kansas City Record Center or Hardesty Federal Complex, is located at 607 Hardesty Ave., east of downtown Kansas City. The 22 acre depot was established in 1940 at the start of World War II and operated until 1953. The Army used the depot to receive and store protective and impermeable clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning supplies, inks, lithographic chemicals, petroleum products and petroleum handling equipment; reclaim petroleum containers, and treat clothing to make them resistant to chemicals such as mustard gas.
The site was transferred from the Army to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Oct. 1, 1960. During GSA’s ownership, numerous entities of the federal government utilized building space at the Hardesty Federal Complex. In 1980, GSA sold a three acre parcel with buildings (1 and 2) to Megaspace Ltd., a California limited partnership.
In 1990, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) determined the former Kansas City Quartermaster Depot was eligible for the Formerly Utilized Defense Site (FUDS) program. However, upon evaluation the USACE assigned a property status of No Department of Defense Action Indicated (NDAI). The status of the property will be revaluated in the future and a final determination will be submitted to the department for concurrence.
In September 2011, GSA sold the remaining approximate 18 acres to the Hardesty Renaissance Economic Development Corporation through a Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act Section 120(h) Early Transfer process with GSA retaining responsibility for addressing environmental-related issues resulting from past operations.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources' Federal Facilities Section continues to work with GSA in providing state oversight for the environmental investigation and cleanup of the site. The Federal Facilities Section also coordinates with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) and other state programs where appropriate.
Nov. 17, 2015 - Community members were invited to GSA’s public availability session at the North-East Kansas City Library at 6000 Wilson Road, Kansas City. The purpose of the session was to update the public on the status of the remedial investigation. Eighteen people were in attendance; nine were members of the local community. Representatives from the department's Federal Facilities Section, DHSS, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the GSA environmental contractor were available for questions.
GSA presented the current findings of the Remedial Investigation and indicated areas where further delineation of the nature and extent of soil and groundwater contamination is needed. GSA again requested that anyone living in areas with shallow trichloroethylene groundwater contamination contact them for vapor sampling and analysis. EPA Region 7 staff and Josh Trader, GSA project manager, will be working with two members from the local community to once again attempt to secure access at the adjacent church property to complete monitoring well installation for plume delineation south of the site.
Oct. 29, 2014 - GSA hosted its third public information session at the North-East Kansas City Library at 6000 Wilson Road in Kansas City to discuss sampling results and the status of the remedial investigation. Two residents and an adjacent property owner attended the meeting. Representatives from GSA, the department, DHSS, Kansas City Health Department and Terracon were available to provide information and answer questions.
Dec. 5, 2013 - GSA hosted its second public information session at the North-East Library at 6000 Wilson Road in Kansas City. About 15 community members attended the meeting. Representatives from GSA; GSA's environmental testing firm, Terracon; the department and the DHSS attended. GSA and Terracon representatives gave a presentation about the environmental investigation and cleanup process of the site. GSA expects the investigation phase, which seeks to determine the full extent of the pollution, will conclude in winter 2014. The next step will be to determine possible cleanup options, and then to present those options to the community for feedback.
June 20, 2013 - GSA hosted a public information session at the North-East Library at 6000 Wilson Road in Kansas City, to discuss environmental sampling results. About 30 community members attended the meeting. Representatives from GSA; GSA's environmental testing firm, Terracon; the department, DHSS and the Kansas City Department of Health were on hand to take questions from residents about past, present and future testing at and around the former federal complex. GSA also informed residents of its intention to expand groundwater testing to help determine the extent of the pollution under nearby residential areas.
For accessibility or communication requests, please contact the GSA Hardesty Project team at 816-926-6903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently, the department is working with GSA as the agency conducts a Remedial Investigation to help define the nature and extent of contamination. The information gathered from the investigation will also be used to identify potential source areas and determine potential pathways of migration. The General Services Administration has submitted a remedial investigation/feasibility study work plan that will:
- Determine whether, or to what extent, a threat to human health or the environment exists
- Develop and evaluate remedial alternatives
Hardesty Environmental Cleanup Newsletter Fall 2014 (English)
Hardesty Environmental Cleanup Newsletter Fall 2014 (Somali)
Hardesty Environmental Cleanup Newsletter Fall 2014 (Vietnamese)
Hardesty Environmental Cleanup Newsletter Fall 2014 (Spanish)
Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study Work Plan - Final Revision 2.0. (March 13, 2013) Prepared for General Services Administration by Terracon Consultants Inc.
Link of Interest
Newspaper article from the Milwaukee Journal, March 18, 1944, regarding the interesting history of the Kansas City Quartermaster Depot (March 1944)