Hazardous Waste Program
Federal Facilities Section
Department of Energy Sites
The Department of Energy Kansas City Plant, or KCP, is part of the Bannister Federal Complex and is located 13 miles south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri, within the incorporated city limits. The facility is located at the intersection of Bannister Road (95th Street) and Troost Avenue on 136 acres. The Department of Energy shares the facility with the General Services Administration, which leases to other federal agencies including the IRS. The KCP is a government owned facility operated by Allied Signal Inc. The KCP produces and procures non-nuclear parts for nuclear weapons, including electrical, electronic, electromechanical, mechanical, plastic and non-fissionable metal components.
Department of Energy operations began in 1949 at KCP. Prior to 1949, the Department of Defense used the plant as an airplane engine production facility. On-site releases of hazardous materials have resulted in contaminated soil and groundwater. Releases from an underground tank farm, a trichloroethylene reclamation facility, a plating building and other industrial practices have resulted in large soil and groundwater plumes containing solvents, Polychlorinated Biphenyls and petroleum products.
The Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project consists of two distinct locations, the Chemical Plant area and the Quarry. The remediation of the Weldon Spring Site is being conducted under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, or CERCLA and as part of the United States Department of Energy Environmental Restoration and Waste Management Program. This site contains chemical and radiological contaminants in various media originating from previous operations at the site.
The Chemical Plant area is located approximately two miles southwest of U.S. Route 40/61 on State Route 94. This 217-acre site has a history of uranium feed materials plant and raffinate pit storage areas. Remediation of this area includes demolition of buildings, raffinate pit cleanup, placement of waste into an on-site engineered disposal cell and site restoration.
The Quarry area is located approximately four miles southwest of the Chemical Plant. This nine-acre limestone quarry was once used as a limestone gravel supply for operations at the site. Remediation of the Quarry includes bulk waste removal, residual waste removal and complete restoration of the area. At the present time, the design for Quarry restoration is underway.