Federal Facilities Section
Department of Defense Sites
The Department of Defense Unit within the Federal Facilities Section works with the Department of Defense and various agencies representing them to remediate sites currently or formerly owned by the Department of Defense. The Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program is currently under the Department of Energy Unit with the Federal Facilities Section.
Fort Leonard Wood Army Training Center
Fort Leonard Wood is located in south central Missouri, lying almost entirely in Pulaski County with small portions in Laclede and Texas counties. The facility occupies approximately 71,000 acres. Named in honor of Major General Leonard Wood, it was activated on Jan. 1, 1941, as a basic training center. During World War II, the fort trained approximately 320,000 soldiers, and starting in 1943, served as a prisoner of war facility. The base was deactivated in 1946, then reopened as a training facility at the start of the Korean conflict (1950) and has continued since. The fort is also home to the Military Police School and Chemical School, both transferred from Ft. McClellan, Alabama. Environmental concerns include groundwater contamination, landfill remedial activities and hazardous waste storage.
Proposed Plan for Landfill 6 (FLW-008), Municipal Landfill on South of Roubidoux (FLW-059), and Landfill on a Branch to Big Piney (FLW-060) at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, Department of the Army - July 2010
- Fact Sheet: Army Recommends Remedial Alternatives at Three Inactive Sanitary Landfills (FLW-008, FLW-059, and FLW-060) at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri - Aug. 12, 2010
- Fact Sheet: Army Recommends No Action at the Directorate of Public Works Old Fire Training Area (FLW-028) at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri - Aug. 12, 2010
- Fact Sheet: Army Recommends Land Use Controls at Two Polychlorinated Biphenyl Spill Areas (FLW-035) at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri - Aug. 12, 2010
Lake City Army Ammunition Plant
Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP), located at Independence, in Jackson County, is the largest small-arms (5.56 - 20 mm) manufacturing plant in the world. With the exception of the five year period between the end of World War II and the beginning of the Korean conflict, this government-owned, contractor-operated facility has been in continuous production since October 1941. Historic waste handling and disposal practices of hazardous substances including oil, grease, solvents, explosives and metals has led to widespread contamination of the site and the subsequent placement of Lake City Army Ammunition Plant on the Superfund National Priority List on Aug. 21, 1987.
Nike Battery - Kansas City 30
This site is a sub-installation of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The site, which comprises 23.82 acres of land acquired in August 1958 and December 1963, is located 35 miles southeast of Kansas City and 2.5 miles south of Lone Jack in Cass County, Missouri. The Nike Site 30 was used as a control and administration area for Nike missiles from 1958 until 1968 when the Nike-Hercules mission was discontinued. The site was then inactivated and declared excess by the U.S. Army on Jan. 31, 1968. From January 1969 to February 1988 the site was under license to the Missouri National Guard. The site has been inactive since February 1988 and was chosen for Base Realignment and Closure in 1989. The site is now abandoned and equipment and materials have been removed. Only the original buildings and foundation for the radar installations, the wastewater treatment system and the water pumping station remain. The contaminated sites consist of disposal areas, underground storage tanks and the wastewater treatment system. The preliminary contaminants of concern are petroleum products/waste, chlorinated solvents, metals, pesticides and mercury.
St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant
The St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant, or SLAAP, is located in the northwestern section of St. Louis, Missouri, bordered on the west by Goodfellow Boulevard and on the north and east by Interstate Highway 70. The 21.05 acres now comprising the St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant were originally part of the St. Louis Ordnance Plant. In 1944, St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant was converted from small arms to 105 mm production. Some contaminants of concern include polychlorinated biphenyls, petroleum and chlorinated solvents.
Jefferson Barracks Air National Guard Base
Jefferson Barracks is situated in the western bank of the Mississippi River, 12 miles south of downtown St. Louis. Although there has been military activity there since 1826, present hazardous waste concerns relate primarily to unexploded ordnance from the two world wars. Known hazardous wastes were cleaned up at the base itself and present interest has focused on the adjacent river bank where dozens of grenades and mortar rounds have been discovered and destroyed since February 1996.
This site is entering the final stages towards closure. Below are a number of correspondence and documents that may be helpful in learning about the site and the current status.
The publication is divided into chapters for quicker download for those using a slower Internet connection.
- Introduction, Section 1-8
- Appendix A-D >
- Appendix E
- Appendix E (cont.)
- Appendix E (cont.)
- Appendix E (cont.) and F >
Draft Final No Further Action Record of Decision December 2007
Lambert-St. Louis Air National Guard Base
Missouri Air National Guard Base, Lambert Field, is located in St. Louis, Missouri. The base is bordered to the north and east by the Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. Structures have since been removed but they are still of concern. Structures consisted of an oil/water separator, an above ground tank containing waste oil, an above ground tank containing a solvent and an underground storage tank used to store detergent.
Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base
Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base consisted of approximately 1,600 acres of land located between Kansas City and Belton, Missouri. In 1976, the federal government deactivated Richards-Gebaur as an active military facility, and in 1980 declared about 80% of the base surplus property. Title to the surplus land was turned over to Kansas City, Missouri, which has operated it as a city-owned general aviation airport. The installation was closed in September 1994. The installation uses interim leases to lease parcels to the Kansas City Aviation Department, or KCAD. Runway and aviation support facilities were transferred to KCAD before the installation was closed. The U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Reserve were also provided land for immediate reuse. The Air Force still retains ownership of 428 acres, on which sit dozens of buildings. The preliminary contaminants of concern are petroleum products/waste, chlorinated solvents, unexploded ordnance, low-level radioactive waste, metals, pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls.
Rosecrans Air National Guard Base
Rosecrans Air National Guard Base consists of approximately 302 acres of land located between Kansas and Missouri on an oxbow island just west of the Missouri River and St. Joseph, Missouri. There are four Air Force Base sites in this area that have soil or groundwater contamination requiring further characterization and possible remedial actions. Primary contaminants of concern are aircraft fuels, chlorinated solvents, strippers, waste oils, toluene, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, various organic chemicals, arsenic and cadmium. The underground storage tank site has one or more tanks known to have leaked fuel.
Whiteman Air Force Base and Minuteman II Sites
Whiteman Air Force Base ,or Whiteman AFB, is located in west central Missouri, 9 miles east of Warrensburg. The base encompasses approximately 4,677 acres of land that is a combination of government-owned, leased and easement land. On Dec. 3, 1955, Sedalia AFB was renamed Whiteman AFB. The base is currently home to the 509th airwing and the only home of the B-2 Advanced Technology Bombers. Whiteman has approximately 27 contaminated sites consisting of landfills, firing ranges, underground storage tanks, disposal areas and lagoons. The contaminants of concern are petroleum products/waste, chlorinated solvents, unexploded ordnance, low-level radioactive waste, metals, pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls.
Whiteman was headquarters for the 351st strategic Missile Wing, consisting of 150 Minuteman II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, or ICBM, silos and 15 launch control facilities spread over 14 counties of west central Missouri. Between 1996 and 1998 the missile silos were deactivated/dismantled under the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START, and are now going through the minimum five year environmental monitoring process. The contaminants of concern for these sites are diesel fuel and polychlorinated biphenyls.
Formerly Used Defense Sites
Air Force 819 Special Depot
This property was leased by the United States in 1942 for storage space for the Air Service Command. Two underground storage tanks containing petroleum are located under a warehouse and appear to have been out of use since the Department of Defense leased the site.
Belton Island Outer Marker Annex
In 1957, the United States purchased 0.94 acres. The site was used by Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base. The Department of the Air Force reported the facility as surplus property in the late 1970s. On Aug. 21, 1985, the facility was conveyed to Kansas City for public airport purposes. Petroleum appears to be the contaminant of concern at this facility.
Fordland Air Force Station (P-68)
Fordland Air Force Station (P-68) is located in Webster County, 3 miles east of the town of Fordland, Missouri. The site area consists of 85.44 acres used by the Air Force as a radar and communication site. On April 26, 1962, the Department of Health, Education and Welfare deeded the property to the state of Missouri for exclusive use by the Department of Corrections, Division of Inmate Education. The site is currently named Ozark Correctional Center and is used as a medium security prison by the state of Missouri.
In the fall of 1996, the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers conducted a site investigation and determined the soils, sediments and groundwater do not appear to have been adversely impacted by suspected Department of Defense landfill disposal activities. In January 1999, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers obtained state concurrence for a "no further action" decision. The determination was based on site-specific investigations, which included geophysical and radiological surveys, soil, leachate and groundwater sampling.
The former Fort Crowder Military Installation is located in Newton County, approximately 3 miles southeast of the city of Neosho in southwest Missouri. Fort Crowder, now referred to as Camp Crowder Training Facility, was originally used by the Department of Defense (DOD) in 1941 as a Signal Corps Training Center. By 1943, DOD had acquired 42,786.41 acres in Newton and McDonald Counties. The Missouri National Guard has a license from the Corps of Engineers for 4,358.09 acres for a training area. The remainder of the land was given to various public and private interests.
Past operations include rocket engine testing and manufacturing, aircraft maintenance, industrial waste treatment facility operations, landfilling, underground fuel storage, burn pits and lagoons. Groundwater and soil contamination has been identified in various areas of the base's original property boundaries. Trichloroethylene contamination in soils and groundwater has been documented at the site and may include off-site contamination in a number of private wells. Waste material generated from the former fort include aviation and vehicular fuels, oils, greases, metals, paints and solvents.
Gasconade Boat Yard
The Gasconade Boat Yard Facility is located approximately 1 mile northeast of Gasconade, Missouri. The site is situated at the confluence of the Missouri and Gasconade rivers. The facility was established as a boatyard in November 1892. It served as a major crossing for marine and rail shipping for the Missouri Pacific Railroad. During World War II, the facility provided boat manufacture and repair service for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. By 1972 the operations of the facility were reduced from boatyard operation to serving as a winter harbor. At one time, the site consisted of four two-story housing units, an engine and boiler room, a steam plant, a planing operation, maintenance shops, above-ground storage tanks, fuel transfer pump house, assembly buildings and several storage/support buildings. A rail spur was also constructed. Primary contaminants of concern are fuels, volatile organics, asbestos and metals.
Jefferson Barracks was once the largest military reservation in America, and has been a significant U.S. military site since 1826. Used by the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, other federal agencies and the Red Cross, it has been used for induction, recruitment, training, mobilization and separation of troops. It was the first basic training camp of the U.S. Army and also home of the first U.S. Cavalry. It was a major munitions depot for both the Army and the Navy, is still the largest U.S. military hospital and contains a national cemetery. Running 2 miles along the western bank of the Mississippi River at the southern boundary of St. Louis is 135 acres of ground used by the Air National Guard Station.
The Corps of Engineers accepted Formerly Used Defense Sites responsibility for buried fuel tanks that appear on old site maps and later for possible unexploded ordnance along the riverfront where hundreds of ordnance items have been found since 1996. Discoveries included live fragmentation and white phosphorous grenades, Stoke's mortar rounds and hundreds of cartridges and fuses.
Kansas City (Bannister) Federal Complex
The Kansas City (Bannister) Federal Complex, located in Jackson County, houses several governmental agencies including the Department of Energy's Kansas City Plant, the General Services Administration and the Internal Revenue Service. Records indicate portions of the site were operated as an aircraft engine plant by Pratt-Whitney for the U.S. Navy. Records also state that the Navy operated a jet engine manufacturing plant at the site through a lease agreement with the Westinghouse Electric Company. Both companies used a landfill for disposal activities. A Department of Defense landfill was established in 1942 on a portion of the area, as a disposal site for the Bannister Federal Complex. From 1942 to 1964, when the landfill was closed, several government contractors disposed waste into the landfill. The soil and groundwater underlying the site is contaminated with solvents, metals and petroleum contaminants.
Kirksville Air Force Station (P-64)
Kirksville Air Force Station (P-64) is located in Adair County, 7 miles north of Kirksville, Missouri. The Department of Defense acquired the 78.51 acres to use as a radar station. The facility provided search and height data for aircraft. A small family housing development consisting of seven houses also exists on the site. In 1968 the station was conveyed to Northeast Missouri State University and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The site is currently used as storage for the college and as a radar tracking station for the FAA. There is evidence that petroleum related products, along with cis-1,2,-dichloroethylene, trichloroethylene and vinyl chloride have been released into the environment.
Documents for public review
Final Feasibility Study Report - Former Kirksville Air Force Station, Greentop, MO October 2008, Prepared by Conti and CH2MHill 6.6 MB
Final Proposed Plan - Former Kirksville Air Force Station, Missouri November 2008, Prepared by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District and CH2MHILL 1.0MB
Malden Air Force Base
The site was acquired between 1942 and 1945 and was reported as surplus property in 1946. The site was conveyed to the city of Malden in 1948. A complete Army Air Field was constructed including three small ordnance storage buildings. The types of ordnance stored were chemical, small arms and pyrotechnics.
Military Personnel Record Center - St. Louis
Currently, a portion of the site is an unnamed park owned by the city of Overland. The remainder is owned by the General Services Administration and is named the Federal Records Center. The property is located at 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, Missouri. The site is used for storage, printing and distribution of forms and publications. Three underground storage tanks have been located at the site.
Nike Battery KCDA 10, Lawson
Formerly the Kansas City Defense Area, Nike Battery 10 in Lawson, Missouri, was used as a surface-to-air guided missile installation established by the Army for the defense of the Kansas City metropolitan area. This site consists of two areas, the former control and launcher areas. The former control area at the battery consisted of buildings necessary for the maintenance of personnel that fired the missiles and is now owned by the Lawson School District R-XII. The launcher area was comprised of three missile launch and storage facilities and has been purchased by the private sector. Possible contaminants include asbestos, petroleum and solvents.
Nike Hercules SL 60, Pacific
The government acquired 162.56 acres of land for the U. S. Army Air Defense Command between June 1959 and April 1965. This property, located in Pacific, Missouri, was purchased to create a missile site for the defense against high flying enemy aircraft. The Meramec Valley R-III School District took over 85.15 acres on Jan. 21, 1970. Another 14.07 acres was purchased by a private individual and 63.34 acres are under the control of the General Services Administration. Possible contaminants include asbestos, petroleum and solvents.
Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base
Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base is 18 miles south of downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The base has served a variety of functions since it was originally built as an auxiliary airport by Kansas City in 1941. The Aerospace Defense Command (ADC) leased the airport in 1952 and the following year Kansas City transferred the property to the U.S. government. Since that time the base has successively been under the command of the ADC, the Air Force Communications Command, the Military Airlift Command and the Air Force Reserve. During the Air Force's tenure at the Base, industrial activity consisted of maintaining aircraft and ground support equipment. In the early 1990s that portion of the Base still under Air Force Reserve control was slated for closure under the Base Realignment and Closure Act. Contaminants associated with the site include petroleum, solvents and heavy metals.
Rosecrans Field Rifle Range
This site is in St. Joseph, Missouri. The Department of Defense began using this site in 1942, which consists of 59.3 acres. The former rifle range is now divided between private owners, the Park Department of the city of St. Joseph and the State Highway Commission. There is possible contamination of heavy metals at this site.
St. Louis Ordnance Plant
St. Louis Ordnance Plant, or SLOP, originally consisted of approximately 327 acres of land located on Goodfellow Avenue in western St. Louis, Missouri. Ammunition was manufactured at these sites in the 1940s, again during the Korean conflict and during the Vietnam Era. Preliminary assessments have identified explosive residues as well as heavy metals in a number of buildings. Polychlorinated biphenyls are also present as a constituent of oils used on site.
The closure of the 64-acre Army Aviation and Troop Command facility at 4300 Goodfellow Boulevard, ordered in 1997, was symbolically completed June 26, 1998 when General Wilson presided over the lowering and casing of the unit flag. The St. Louis Ordnance Plant site has been broken up into many parcels. The St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant is an active site, while other parts of the original St. Louis Ordnance Plant are either unused or put to other uses. Fort Leonard Wood owns approximately 22 acres of highly contaminated soils and structures in the former mixing house area. Most of the remaining parcels are privately owned.
The former Hanley Area of the St. Louis Ordnance Plant site consists of 14.68 acres at the intersection of Stratford Avenue and Goodfellow Boulevard. The processes there consisted of the blending of primary explosives, incendiary compounds, and the tracer charging of .30- and .50-caliber projectiles as part of the assembly of the final product. The former Hanley Area takes its name from Hanley Industries, Inc., which leased the 14.68 acres in 1959 and conducted operations there through 1979. Hanley used the site for research, development, manufacture, and testing of various explosives.
Final Proposed Plan for OU-2 Former Hanley Area - St. Louis Ordnance Plant, Former Hanley Area, St. Louis, Missouri. Prepared by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Kansas City District, 88th Regional Support Command, and the U.S. Army Environmental Command May 2018
Proposed Plan - St. Louis Ordnance Plant, Former Hanley Area, St. Louis, Missouri. Prepared by the U.S. Army Corps in Engineers - Kansas City District, 88th Regional Support Command, and the U.S. Army Environmental Command November 2010
Fact Sheet for the Proposed Remedial Alternatives - Hanley Area of the Former St. Louis Ordnance Plant, St. Louis, Missouri. Prepared by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Kansas City District, 88th Regional Support Command, and the U.S. Army Environmental Command November 2010
Community Involvement Plan, St. Louis Ordnance Plant, Former Hanley Area, St. Louis, Missouri. Prepared by Conti and CH2MHILL. Prepared for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District. April 2008
St. Louis Tank Armor
This property, located on Manchester Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri, was owned by the Department of Defense from 1941 to 1950. The Government used the four acre site for the production of cast armor for military tanks. The property has since been sold and the structures on the site have been demolished. Contamination at this site possibly consists of polychlorinated biphenyls, heavy metals and solvents.
Tyson Valley Powder Farm
The Tyson Valley Powder Farm was originally a 2,620 acre facility used from 1945 through 1950, then again in 1951 through 1963 by the Department of Defense. This site was used to support the St. Louis Ordnance Plant, mainly for storage and as a testing facility for ordnance. Tyson has numerous bunkers once used for ordnance storage. Remnants of firing ranges and waste destruction areas also exist at the site.
Likely existing contaminants due to disposal, storage and destruction of ordnance related materials include heavy metals, nitroaromatics, various explosives and solvents. World War II era documents show radioactive wastes were once transported to the facility for storage. Later documentation suggests some radioactive wastes were to be shipped off-site. Washington University School of Medicine radiation experts conducted a survey in 1988 and found no evidence of radioactive waste or contamination at the site.
Of the old facility, 1,966 acres are now owned by the Washington University Tyson Research Center and 405 acres are now St. Louis County's Lone Elk Park. Remaining acreage is under Interstate 44 and railroad easements and in West Tyson County Park.
Proposed Plan for Selected Areas of Concern and Areas of Interest, Former Tyson Valley Powder Farm, Eureka, Missouri. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District, Kansas City, Missouri. May 2014.
The Public Comment Period on the Proposed Plan will be May 7 to June 5, 2014.
Comments can be mailed to:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
ATTN: Edwin Louis
601 Est 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106-2896
Or emailed to:
Vichy Army Air Field
The air field is situated near Vichy, in Maries County, 12 miles north of Rolla, Missouri. The Department of Defense used this site from 1942 to 1946. This 1,370 acre site consisted of three bituminous runways and 55 buildings. There were also above and below ground storage tanks to support operations at the air field. The site was transferred to the city of Rolla in 1957 and is currently a national airport. Possible contamination at this site include heavy metals and petroleum.
Weldon Spring Ordnance Works
Weldon Spring Ordnance Works, or WSOW, a Superfund National Priorities List, or NPL, site located 25 miles northwest of St. Louis, was one of the many munitions plants that manufactured trinitrotoluene (TNT) for the U.S. Armed Services during World War II. Wastes from more than 17,000 acres drained into the watersheds of both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Of that original WSOW property, only 1,655 acres remain in Army hands - operated since 1959 as the Weldon Spring Training Area, or WSTA, for the Army Reserve. 220 acres are now a separate NPL site owned by the Department of Energy. 15,000 acres became state-owned wildlife areas. TNT contamination exists at the Weldon Spring Training Area and in the surrounding wildlife areas.